Paperwork Moving Across Borders

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with moving a shamisen from Japan to another country, and can give me some insight into the paperwork I need. I’m buying a shamisen in Japan and then taking it with me as carry-on to New Zealand. I don’t think I need any paperwork, but I want to check that there isn’t anything I’m missing that’s going to get it confiscated at the border (of either Japan or New Zealand).

Regarding CITES species, I think I’m all covered. The only CITES species I have is the ebony tuning pins (itomaki) but CITES only covers ebony logs, sawn wood and veneer sheets. It doesn’t cover finished products and I’ve gotten confirmation from both countries that I don’t need CITES paperwork for the itomaki. (The shamisen and accessories don’t contain any rosewood, ivory or tortoiseshell, and the skin is artificial.)

Other than CITES, is there anything to look out for?

Thanks for your help, I know this is probably a kind of difficult question to answer.

Depends on your country.

I’m not familiar with New Zealand’s statues, but based on your descriptions I don’t suspect you’ll encounter problems.

You may get odd looks and be asked some questions, but that’s easily managed.

What’s the instrument made from? Karin (red oak)?

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I think it will be alright.

Yeah it’s made of karin. Although I have had a hard time figuring out the English common name and scientific name for that wood. I thought it was Pterocarpus indicus based on the Japanese wiki article for カリン (karin).

Is it red oak (Quercus rubra)?

Hi ! I may be wrong and I don’t remember the source but I have once noted the 3 main woods used for the shamisen :

Karin, english name : burma padauk, latin name : pterocarpus macrocarpus;

Shitan, english name : indian rosewood, latin name : dalbergia latifolia;

Kouki, english name : red sandalwood, latin name : pterocarpus santalinus.

Thank you Patrick, that’s really useful. Now that I’m running searches using both “karin” and “Pterocarpus macrocarpus” I’m getting a lot of returns from Japanese flooring and timber companies, so I think that’s probably correct. I’ll give that species name to customs when I declare the instrument, if they ask for it.