Help identifying the wood on this shamisen?

I also think it is low, but tried to tighten the string the sound got so much better. But the more I tighten the string it goes all the way to up F or something. If I tune it CGC for example is it possible to have that at a higher sound. Does C exist at the different level for the same string, for example if I tighten the string to C but it is low, can I tighten it a bit more to it goes the next C sort where it is higher or does it not work that way? Sorry for my stupid question but just been playing for 4 months. But like you said my shamisen is low, and when tightening it got so much better sound, like a new instrument. But was wondering if I can still have CGC tuning at a higher sound?

Yes! If you’re worried about snapping the string just test the tension as you tune up step by step. If the string is nearing it’s break point, you will feel and hear it.

Would you call it a “scraping” sound? I had a similar problem with my acrylic bachi and in my case correcting my form eliminated the problem.

@MMXIX yes I meant scrapping sound, my description was not the best I guess, it seems that it went away when tightening the strings. Still think I will need a Pantera bachi to maximize the sound, will see…