Karl Hedlund's Shamisen Composer

If you wanted to develop expert systems, I suppose you could make the software try to find the best compromises for a given piece. Have a word with Kevin how he usually does this stuff! :slight_smile: I’d think a good approach would be to just give the user a few options to choose before doing a mechanical conversion.

Your software/notation of course doesn’t have the same limitations as a physical shamisen. For example, you could have negative fret positions (-1, -2 etc). The user would then manually adapt the tabs to make it playable. (Perhaps some of those options could be performed post conversion.)

The domain seems to be already offline. What is the next step now?

I’d say now there would be a real good reason for a bachido app . . .

Can’t someone start this with a logo from kyle (or a cool real life picture of him) for some startup screen and some general framework that would allow for the addition and integration of components at whatever leisurely pace over time?

someone please do that a startup screen and an alarm clock that I can set to be woken up by a suitable and randomly selected shamisen tune played by kyle . . . would already be great for starters and someday someone could get karls composer into app component format and from then on it would surely be a killer application to offer the bachido app among the other great features already available on and via the bachido site . . .

I completely agree with BH. Bringing back the Shamisen Composer as an app (or something like it) would be the most important. Though it wasn’t used very much, the composer was invaluable to have when notation needed to be made.

There’s plenty of tuner apps and such, the most unique and role-filling 3rd party creation has been Karl’s Shamisen Composer. Over the years, developers/programmers have come to Bachido volunteering to create something if an idea for something to make. Well, I think continuing the Shamisen Composer in this way would be it!

Thoughts?

I wouldn’t want to sit and edit precise score on a phone. An iPad would work but do enough people really have them?

Maybe someone who has more experience with making apps for phones and pads could show us an example of how it is made easy to work with.

I’m not sure what we should do with the code. I’m considering at some point to extract the functionality and make it more easy to understand so that someone else can build upon it. The current code is shit quite frankly.

How many lines of code is it total again?

I’m still interested in helping with development. This sounds like a really fun project. For those interested in doing development (or testing), what phone/tablet/device do you have? Are there any feelings towards doing native development vs using crossplatform development tools?

android tablet is my only computer device after having switched back to a new simple and small phone but I do miss some features so surely no later than a bachido alarm clock becomes available I’ll buy another android smartphone again …

I’d help if I had the development experience on mobile devices, unfortunately I’m in the low level kernel stuff.

Karl, if you’d like I could host your code since right now your domain is down. Since I’ve been using the Composer and Scale viewer quite frequently :wink:

I’ll ask Kyle to have the source code downloadable on Bachido.com. Those with an IIS can set it up and just run it locally.

I’m actually more interested in making the scale viewer better. Especially the newer version where I separated some of the logic so that it can be used for other instruments including guitar.

I’ll ask Kyle about hosting the scale viewer on Bachido.com. The reason we couldn’t do this before was that the only working PDF generator I found back then was written in .NET and therefore I had to go with ASP.NET for the website.

I’m all for that! I just need to check in with Luke, as he would be the one who would actually do the set up for hosting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a an IIS download for Windows, like they used to have some 15+ years ago? (Was it called Personal Internet Server or something…)

Anyway, what do you use as the reference now that the Scale viewer is offline? I mean, for figuring out which position is which note. (Other than just trying to get tuning spot on and looking at your tuner.)

If there is going to be a Desktop Version, I’d like to pay (or donate) for it. I was one of the few tokidoki-users of the composer. And since my handwriting is a total mess no one is going to understand some of my new scores (not even me).

If you even rewrite something I’d appreciate the possibility of keyboard writing for the numbers very much. That would fasten things a lot.

I second Martina’s idea!

There is no Desktop version right now. If I was to create one, what kind of OS do people here use? Windows, Linux, Mac, Android?

I’m exclusively on Linux… but I might be the oddity here.

I’m primarily on a Mac, but I also have a Windows box.

Windows and OSX (Mac) here. Would really prefer Linux though, I guess. And I’d use Android (technically Linux too) if I had to :wink:

Is there a reason to suppose the demographic is somehow different from the usual? Mac is pretty common nowadays so you can’t play “but but we’re musicians!” card so much :stuck_out_tongue:

Gah, you nerds with your Linux! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’m stuck on Windows.

android as the phone and tablet with it were cheaper :wink: