My shamisen project

Ooh! If you want to try something fun, turn the tsukigata into horns. First steps into a metal shamisen! :stuck_out_tongue: (at least, visually)

That would be awesome! If I was better at carving then I would carve the top of the tenjin to look like an ONI face! :smiley:

The only thing I was diasappointed about with the tsukugata is that I wanted to get one of those fancy covers for it like the dou kake (sorry, canā€™t remember the name) and Iā€™m
not sure if it will fit now.

If it doesnt fit then I can always make one bespoke for mine using the dou kake method from Shamisen of Japan.

Finally got everything finished and applied a couple layers of tung oil. Now I just have to wait for my skins to come in the mail and order some strings, bachi, koma, etc.

Apparently my hastily made sword stand makes a good shamisen stand as well :slight_smile:

that looks beautiful!

Nice!

grgrgr I am so jealous, your shamisen is awesome!

Hooray! My first kawahari! I was planning on using the traditional kisen but I was convinced there was a simpler (and lazier) way. I got $20 worth of oak, poplar, and hardware and spend an evening assembling my shami-skinner. It was surprisingly quick and easy to use despite being so questionably built. Iā€™m still not sure exactly how well the final result turned out as I have never seen a professional shamisen in person. The skin is extremely tight and hard with a very crisp ā€œtinnyā€ sound to it.

A note to Kyle: in your next copy of ā€œShamisen of Japanā€ you might want to point out how unbelievably difficult the mochiko can be to remove from fingers, kitchen utensils, tools, pets, etc. I am going to have nightmares tonight about being attacked by a giant mutated ball of mochi!

Dude! Send us a video of you playing it.

I would love to Shinji! First I need strings, bachi, koma, and an ability to play XD

Cody,
Thank you for sharing this ! Itā€™s great to see your work!

Awe~some!!!

I just sent your pictures to Taichi san. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll warm his heart to see. :slight_smile:

A note to Kyle: in your next copy of ā€œShamisen of Japanā€ you might want to point out how unbelievably difficult the mochiko can be to remove from fingers, kitchen utensils, tools, pets, etc.

Ah, but why spoil the surprise? :stuck_out_tongue:

A note to Kyle: in your next copy of ā€œShamisen of Japanā€ you might want to point out how unbelievably difficult the mochiko can be to remove from fingers, kitchen utensils, tools, pets, etc.

Ah, but why spoil the surprise? :stuck_out_tongue:

Kyle! Donā€™t blame him :stuck_out_tongue: You started spoiling on Blogcast number 12,when you said ā€œkeep it on the tip so your hands donā€™t get all stickyā€

Oookay,Iā€™ve bothered you enough,sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

Leaving now! XD

Yeah I tried to keep it on the tip but it was all futile. The glue inevitably ended up everywhere. I just managed to clean up the last of it this afternoon (lots of wiping stuff down with damp paper towels)