The Beginner's Shamisen

Well it ended up as a bit of a “review” - in a true Finnish style, I just jotted down my impressions, both good and bad - I hope I didn’t come off as negative, hopefully people picking up their first shamisen will find it helpful. And I don’t want to hype something I’m not an expert in :wink: I’ll probably add more notes down the road.

Good thing about the new thinner strings! I thought this could really be a little stumbling block, as small drills are not a common tool (don’t even have that 1.5mm myself, 2mm is the smallest I think I have). Also found out that ebony is called hardwood for a reason, had 2-3 false starts before I succesfully drilled it :slight_smile: Otherwise assembly was simple and you don’t need tools for it.

Initially I think the ichi no ito was indeed flush with the tenjin, and I’ve read that is a problem. That’s why I put the electric tape in there… it may help just a little bit, and think now it’s like 1mm from the tenjin. Should I just guide the string when tightening so it’s a bit further away?

The other points, been thinking of some stuff related to them, will take them to another thread not to take this too off-topic :slight_smile:

About naga fukuro still, some may think 40 bucks is a lot for a piece of cloth, but it’s actually rather stylish, shiny fabric much like the doukake etc. I got the Navy one, goes pretty well with the purple parts too, it’s not too dark at all.

For the sawari:

This comes only from the ichi no ito? Ie. when you strike the san no ito for example, ichi acts as a symphatetic string, so you’re not supposed to dampen it or anything? And that’s why you don’t need anything on the other strings to get the buzz.

Also if/when you file the notch for ichi no ito on this shamisen, it actually locks the string in place, because the string sinks to the notch - so the best method to keep the string from touching the tenjin (bad for the itomaki slipping issue) is to make this notch in a place where it keeps the string away?

For the sawari:

This comes only from the ichi no ito? Ie. when you strike the san no ito for example, ichi acts as a symphatetic string, so you’re not supposed to dampen it or anything? And that’s why you don’t need anything on the other strings to get the buzz.

This was correct - symphatetic strings are common in indian instruments, but for example the biwa employs the same idea nicely, in addition to the shamisen.

More comments about sound:

It’s good, I mostly like it. Brings enjoyment to the beginner for a good while. Judging by the sales video, Kyle seems to be quite impressed by it. Can’t really discredit any of his comments.

With the shari koma, mine feels a bit hard, harsh, cold. Could be about the sound volume too. Now I’m aware how nicely Kyle plays the one on the video! A good player like him makes the notes clean, round and soft.

Kyle: Which strings are used on the videos? Mine I think has 1 nylon (san no ito - looks translucent and smooth) and 2 tetoron (? not quite as translucent, and no slippery smooth surface).

The resonant sound is the good part! Rich and satisfying, feels like a guitar as it should have been :wink:

High octaves sound just as nice and clean as on the vid.

Think I’ll add the sawari effect quite soon…

Still miss those reference points to evaluate the sound as well. The deluxe shinobi koma makes it softer (and nicer?) though, I’ll have to try some others too.

Kyle made at least 2 other videos, which may give you a better idea how it sounds, here’s Yasaburo Bushi (BTW that’s the colour of the sao for my shamisen as well):

The real interesting point with this shamisen is that it beats the price point of other shamisen I’ve seen online with the same level (?) of quality. Comparison with Nagauta Karin (Red Oak) Shamisen from e-kameya.com (calculated with 1 USD = 121 JPY):

Shamisen package / Beginner’s shamisen: 59.400 / 36.300 JPY
Koma - / 3.500 JPY
Beginner Accessory Set - / 9.300 JPY
Naga fukuro - / 5.000 JPY
Yubikake, hiza gomu etc 2.000 JPY / -
Saofuki - / 1.500 JPY
Shipping 2nd package - / 2.000 JPY ?

TOTAL 59.600 vs 57.600 JPY

So the Beginner’s shamisen “wins” the comparison by about 2000 JPY. However, Bachido is in a position to offer the current course bundle (online courses for 3 songs for free) with the shamisen, at least Sakura and Yasaburo Bushi are nice popular songs good for beginners, and also you have the choice of what to include in your set - say you don’t want the naga fukuro…

Other entry level shamisen I’ve seen in online shops have often been at a significantly higher price.

Hey Yatagarasu!

Oops! Sorry for not answering your last message.

This was correct - symphatetic strings are common in indian instruments, but for example the biwa employs the same idea nicely, in addition to the shamisen.

Indeed. I believe when the shamisen arrived to Japan (either as the Chinese SanXian or Okinawan Sanshin), it was the taken up by the biwa players, who adapted the instrument to match their aesthetic tastes. Namely, the large plectrum, curved headpiece, and the buzzing sawari (which isn’t on either the SanXian or Sanshin). It’s suspected to have actually been inspired from the Indian sitar’s buzzing effect, called “jawari” (jawari…sawari… coincidence?)

It’s good, I mostly like it. Brings enjoyment to the beginner for a good while. Judging by the sales video, Kyle seems to be quite impressed by it. Can’t really discredit any of his comments.

I’m glad you mostly like it! :slight_smile: I still love playing with it. Any “beginner” level shamisen I’ve played before was never satisfying for me (specifically because of the use of thick, plastic skin). Thus, to finally have an affordably priced shamisen (considering the price of most shamisen) that’s resonant and clear almost blew my mind. Of course, knowing that every skin is different (and thus, the tone of every shamisen will be a bit different), I factored that fact into my evaluation.

With the shari koma, mine feels a bit hard, harsh, cold.

Hmm… what distance do you have the koma from the neo? And also another important factor, where are you playing the shamisen? I made sound isolation panels in the studio where I filmed it, and that might cut back sharp response (though I personally do prefer a sharper tone than a warm tone) than if it were played in a reverb-heavy room.

Kyle: Which strings are used on the videos? Mine I think has 1 nylon (san no ito - looks translucent and smooth) and 2 tetoron (? not quite as translucent, and no slippery smooth surface).

Mine are exactly the same. :slight_smile:

The resonant sound is the good part! Rich and satisfying, feels like a guitar as it should have been :wink:

Yeah! the resonance is even more noticeable when it’s played side by side with a plastic skin shamisen. (which often sounds dull/muddy above position ‘10’)

Think I’ll add the sawari effect quite soon…

I stress, file slowly and test often. Unfortunately, I filed a little too far (perhaps 0.5mm, or less) and the string touched the ridge too much to get the optimal buzz. So, I put in a small piece of tape to lift it up. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kyle made at least 2 other videos, which may give you a better idea how it sounds, here’s Yasaburo Bushi (BTW that’s the colour of the sao for my shamisen as well):

Ooh!! Speaking of which, I recorded another song on the Beginner’s Shamisen for Karl! (We were talking about a certain song on Facebook) Here it is! One of my favorite old time folk songs, Maggie Walker Blues. (Also called “I’ve Always Been a Rambler” or “Roving Cowboy”)

Other entry level shamisen I’ve seen in online shops have often been at a significantly higher price.

Yeah, other online shops mark up the price considerably. Seeing how important it is to have truly affordable shamisen available, we’re barely selling above cost (just a bit to cover fees/costs). Fortunately, my partner in Japan also believes how necessary this is to help shamisen grow in the world, so he’s donating his time and energy to this cause. Unfortunately, it seems the Japanese shamisen world believes that price = quality, believing that if the price is low, people will think it’s crap and won’t want to buy it. (Yet ironically, the price some companies charge for crappy shamisen/bachi is shamefully high). I’ve tried to explain that low price = accessibility (to get new enthusiasts in the game), but it hasn’t seemed to register in their mindset. (and yet, they’re surprised why we’ve sold so many!)

Okay, my rant is over. :stuck_out_tongue:

Excellent reviews and comments, Yatagarasu! Bachi on!!!

Indeed. I believe when the shamisen arrived to Japan (either as the Chinese SanXian or Okinawan Sanshin), it was the taken up by the biwa players, who adapted the instrument to match their aesthetic tastes. Namely, the large plectrum, curved headpiece, and the buzzing sawari (which isn’t on either the SanXian or Sanshin).

Yep to that. The two instruments coexisted for a long time and there was quite a bit of cross-pollination. Like the japanese diet or religion, the choice of instrument was also very much affected by the upheavals of the japanese society over the centuries. At one point in history, there was a mass exodus back to biwa from shamisen.

The wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biwa is actually a bit of a sad story. Even native japanese can’t just pick up a biwa and start playing in a chosen style, as many biwa traditions have died and no teachers exist today!

We shamisen players are truly blessed to have a resource like Bachido.

Hmm… what distance do you have the koma from the neo? And also another important factor, where are you playing the shamisen?

Usually it’s about 2.5 finger widths away, or just slightly more. 3 was the recommendation I saw, but understood that was for the slightly larger tsugaru.

I play in the typical finnish concrete bunker that’s called an apartment :slight_smile: Not far from the nearest wall, though otherwise I think there’s a few objects around that disperse the sound. That said there are many things that sound more soft and mellow in the same place. The shinobi koma sounds different, already.

Unfortunately, it seems the Japanese shamisen world believes that price = quality, believing that if the price is low, people will think it’s crap and won’t want to buy it.

Could be a whole different world of consumer thinking over there. I suppose if somebody now made a shamisen package that cost only 55.600 yen, westerners would flock to buy it…

Just some quick updates. It feels the sound on mine has improved a bit.

I now have 3 koma - the original (medium nagauta size?) shari (bone) koma, a bamboo one, and the smallest size shari koma (picked up at Katou). The small shari koma feels the best so far, not quite as harsh but the sound is still sharp. Not a huge difference anyway, I think the bamboo is somewhat warmer than the other too.

Usually when I play, I first tune to E-B-E, then decide on the piece. Somehow I feel tighter strings are better here than the usual C-G-C.

I think it’s mostly about the player though…! (A bit of a surprise, didn’t realize how much difference it can make.) Haven’t played much over the summer, got some very good tips about the basics at the Shamicamp. I think playing with the bachi was quite awkward at start, we don’t really have anything like that around here, but now it seems I handle it with more confidence and hit the strings/skin more snappy, sharp, accurate. (That is, when I hit the strings. A bit out of touch atm.)

That’s great that the shamisen is sounding better and better! Changing the bridge does make a difference to change the tone, but I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement, the biggest difference is in the person behind the shamisen. :wink: as you get better, sound of your shamisen and will naturally get better too. Kind of funny, I’ve recently filled my bocce technique improving within the past month or two, and though the sound quality of my shining Sun has gone down over time, the town has actually improved since my technique changed. :slight_smile: that’s kinda fun.

Also, just like a new guitar or any instrument, as you play it more , you will break in the sound box ( in this case, the skin ) and the tone will have more life.

Happy to hear that! :smiley:

I am curious as to who makes these shamisen?

Hi Mark! Welcome to the Bachido community! :slight_smile:
The maker is a craftsman in Osaka, Japan. He makes high-end kouki shamisen, as well a these shamisen for schools. :slight_smile:

Kinda funny. When we started selling his student level shamisen (The Beginner’s Shamisen), he complained that he got so many orders that he didn’t have any time to make his higher end shamisen. :wink:

So now you could say he’s making no-end shamisen.