3 shamisen review

Well i now have 3 shamisen…i know i’m greedy XD

Just a quick review for you guys, i apologise for my bad pronunciation of japanese and the clicks from the camera each time i start and stop.
I’ve never done one like this before and not really used any video making software either so i hope you can all see and hear okay.

I might have to chop and change pieces around to get something playable and will probably break strings in the process, but it’s all part of learning right? right?

1 Like

ah damn . . . what? 4 bachis too? (drooling fellow member but and seriously) CONGRATULATIONS :slight_smile:

Wow, 3 shamisen?! They all look very nice! I can’t wait to see how everything turns out. Maybe you could put them together to make the worlds first 3-necked super shamisen!

i just about got the playable one strung and tuned and then my only san no ito snapped and hit me in the face!
So just waiting for a quote from the store for my new strings and pieces.

Thanks BH, i’m actually thinking about selling the plastic one, i don’t like the feel of it one bit, i prefer more tactile materials.

Cody, i’d send them/it to you to play with then XD

Wow, Amanda, that’s quite the motherlode you got there. You should get a nice range of sounds from that collection. You’re bound to find one of them to your liking.

I haven’t been keeping up with your progress on the horn bachi lately. (Sorry.) But it looks really good and was the first thing to catch my eye in the shot.

hi chet, i haven’t done much more to the horn bachi i have to admit, but now i have a work table back i’ll be taking some more off and then polishing

Looking good Amanda!

I noticed a little bit of wear & tear on the damaged one. You might have to smooth it down but looks like quality wood to work with!

hi karl
i’m not sure if i want to smooth it down yet. I might just protect it with a cover until i do decide.
It’s such a beautiful piece of wood.

Definately wait with it until you have tried it out!

Luuuccckkkyyyyyyyy…
Great score, Amanda. I think Jamie needs a shamisen. :stuck_out_tongue:

When you skin it, I would recommend wrapping the dou tightly with rope (using a twist to ravel the rope tighter). The older joints are weaker and can break during kawahari.

Btw, lovely voice and hands you have! It gives some more personality than the RoboGeisha profile picture you have. :wink:

1 Like

XD
i always think i sound like a little girl with a cold!(and i was trying to hide the raw patch on the side of my thumb that i’d sliced open while chopping up veggies) and i hate how i look in photos and on camera so i tend to hide…a LOT

I would def follow the directions in the book for skinning, i’d be more upset if the dou on either of them split at the joints than the skin breaking.

I might be able to lend out one of the shami if/when i get skinning and all my bits arrive from the bachido shop…except i just realised i need koma too…guess that’s next on the ‘to make’ list!

Wish i had more energy to do things but it’s been an eventful week, shami arrivals, meetings, baking, christmas shopping, passing my sociology part of my degree course etc

1 Like

nice haul Amanda!

This is a very nice “armory” you got there!

:stuck_out_tongue:
Kidding

These are very nice shamisen,good luck repairing it!