4300 kamashi on ni no ito

Hey everyone,

I’m having a bit of trouble with the 4300 kamashi pattern on ni no ito. Namely when I play the last hajiki I can hear a bit (IMO) too much of the sound of the 3 note where the finger lands before the 0 rings out. It doesn’t seem to be a problem for me on san no ito since I can pretty much just pull the string off the sao before the 3 note has time to ring out, but obviously I can’t do that with the ni no ito. Any advice or suggestions on improving this?

What it sounds like is that you’re accidentally doing an uchi when your first fingers does the 0 hajiki.
What works for me is paying specific attention to not so much depressing the string, but pulling it more horizontally. It also might help to just practice plucking the ni no ito open without the 3 sounding, see what works for that, and then incorporate that into the kamashi.
Hope this helps!

Yeah, that’s basically what’s happening since my finger comes back down first before the hajiki. It’s not really clear from the videos in the lessons, but should the finger push / touch the sao again before the hajiki, or should it only touch the string?

It should really only touch the string on the last hajiki.

If you push down on the sao you’ll always get the accidental uchi.

Ok, that makes sense. Need to accustom my guitarist brain / hands to these new shamisen techniques :slight_smile:

Glad I could help :slight_smile:
Best of luck! If you have any more questions feel free to ask!