A few questions ( ? _ ? )

Hi everyone, first post on the forums here :stuck_out_tongue:

I recently picked up a gottan from the wonderful Bachido store here, initially with the intent to use it as a cheaper shamisen to practice with before I could use an actual one. Now, of course, after playing with it for almost a week, I’ve discovered it’s worth as a unique instrument in its own right. My sister, who plays the banjo, is having a lot of fun with it (a little ironic how western it can sound!)

Though it’s fun playing the lighter bouncier stuff, I’d still like to play some faster, flashier, tsugaru style stuff. It’s too cool to pass up! Don’t worry, I’m not looking to emulate a shamisen’s snappier sound, just be able to play the piece recognisably. For fear of damaging the gottan, and indeed the bachi, I would rather not use one. However from what I’ve gathered, it appears a thinner plectrum is preferred. I only have thicker plectrums for bass, so I was wondering if anybody happens to know what gauge of guitar pick is similar to that of a softer bachi? Am I being a bit of a heathen by wanting to use a pick with the gottan in the first place? :S

Some thing I’m a bit more sure about is a getting a fujaku and a yubikake. Am I correct in believing the scaling and proportions of a gottan are the same or similar enough to a shamisen that a fujaku would still be useful? I’d have just used the fingerless gloves I use for bass over a yubikake, but they extend a little to far up the finger.

Thanks for any help I receive, I’d appreciate even just a second of anyone’s time!

You might consider simply playing Gottan with your fingers as in finger style etc. I’ve played Gottan on several monsters of shamisen recordings and have always used my fingers as opposed to a pick But I can see how wanting to sound similar to Tsugaru style would require a pick. I’d recommend trying a thin or medium gauge pick if you’re afraid of the thick one doing damage.