Acetal Bachi Or Acrylic

I’ve been looking into investing in a mew bachi recently and I happened upon this https://theloud.house/about-classic-bachi/.

Does anyone have experience with acetal bachi blades? How is the sound if so?

I’ve also been seriously considering the premium acrylic bachi from Bachido too. How has your experience been with the acrylic bachi if you have one?

-Miles

Acetal is the same material lots of guitar picks are made from so I would guess it works well.

I recently purchased the Premium Acrylic Bachi and took a chance on the 1.6mm blade. I started with the plastic bachi that comes with the Best Buddy and the difference is like day and night. The PAB is super light and comfy and wrist pain no longer creeps up on me. I don’t think I’ve had it long enough to offer an in-depth review but I will say that it’s beautifully made and Josh is excellent about keeping the buyer informed. I also like knowing that when the time comes I only need to replace the blade, not the entire bachi.

2 Likes

I have one of the loud house bachi. They are very lightweight and easy on the wrist compared to traditional Bachi, and they are significantly less slippery when your hands get sweaty making them easier to grip. The only downside is that currently (although I understand experimentation is occurring to try and make a thinner bladed version) the blade is not as flexible as a traditional Bekkou bachi and it doesnt generate the same level of “snap” or have the same level of ability to create subtler nuances. I have posted a few videos on the bachido facebook page (september last year I think) comparing this bachi against a traditional Bekkou one if you would like to head there to have a look. My feeling is that whilst it will not replace a $400 Bekkou bachi it is certainly much better than the $40 plastic lumps that are currently the only other ‘beginner’ option :slight_smile:

According to Kyle, the Premium Acrylic Bachi in “1.6 would be around 3~4” on the hardness scale which is on par with a faux bekkou or traditional bachi. The blade has plenty of flexibility (an almost frightening amount of flexibility to a beginner whose only previous experience was a stiff plastic bachi :astonished: :laughing:).

From my experience acrylic and polycarbonate is more flexible compared to bekko and faux bekko.
The closest material I have used so far is PEI (Polyetherimide).

I typically try to stay away from these questions since I make the bachi you found at theloud.house and 1) I don’t want to be as the pushy salesman type, and 2) I am obviously biased. But since you asked directly about the difference between acetal and acrylic and - as far as I know - I am the only one that uses acetal in a production bachi, I will try to answer the question with as little bias as possible.

I don’t have a great way to describe this, but I think acrylic sounds “clicky” (I’ve also heard it described as “glassy”) on the strings. This sound is not present when playing with a real bekkou bachi. It creates an extra dynamic in the overall sound from the instrument that I personally find distracting.

Maybe this will work as a comparison: Tap on a piece of glass with your fingernail, then tap on a piece of cardboard with your fingernail. Note that the glass reflects almost all of the sound, while the cardboard absorbs it. That’s the difference between acrylic and acetal. Acrylic reflects while acetal absorbs. That’s the best way I know to describe it.

@ShamiKappa makes some great points, though, and I fully admit these as flaws with acetal. To keep it stiff enough, it needs to be a little thicker than I would like. I’ve been working on ways to taper the blade at the tip, but I haven’t come up with a stable, repeatable process yet. I have never found it limiting, but I can see how a more advanced player might.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed insight on the LoudHouse bachi @Chris and @ShamiKappa!

This information was very helpful in making an informed decision. I’m definitely looking into getting one of these now.