All note marking locations

So I have seen a measurement for where each of the 21 markings for the notes of shamisen go but I do not think it sounds correct. Can anyone help me figure out the correct way or what each of the notes are please? Thank you

You can DIY it pretty simply with a tuner. It’s a half step per position IF you include the sharps and flats. So

1 2 3 # 4 5 6 7 8 9 b 10 11 12 13 # 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

On ichi-no-ito in niagari tuning:

Open string => C
1 => C#
2 => D
3 => D#
4 => E
5 => F

and so on. Just make sure you don’t skip the “#” between 3 and 4 and 13 and 14 or the “b” between 9 and 10.

Just tune open string to C, then position 1 is usually right at the bottom of the chibukuro (the flared part of the top of the neck), but you can check that with a tuner. Then just slide your finger down the neck, watch the tuner and mark each position as it comes into tune. I used a piece of washi tape (which you can find at any craft store or on Amazon) to make my own fujaku of sorts. Just the right amount of stickiness (which means not very sticky at all), takes a sharpie well, and looks nice.

1 Like

Oh, dang. I failed to follow my own advice and skipped #! :man_facepalming:

Corrected:

Open string => C
1 => C#
2 => D
3 => D#
# => E
4 => F
5 => F#

I guess you can take that as an example of what happens if you skip #. :laughing:

Many apologies for the screw-up.

No worries I sincerely thank you so much your your help🙇‍♂️

One additional hint: To mark a very precise spot for each note, press the string down with your fingernail, not the soft part of your fingertip.

1 Like