Another microphone related thread...

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

So I know that the topic of microphones has been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone knew of where you could source a skin based microphone. Something to attach to the skin of the dou would provide the best clarity, but they’re very difficult to fin around the Sydney area.

If anyone knew of where to find something like this online, they would just be the best person ever!!!

Toto

I think I saw a picture of this somewhere sometime on google . . .

or the alternative a piezo disc is 1 dollar solder to guitar cable plug into amp and ready to go . . . :slight_smile: at least I was surprised to find out that one of those mobile acoustic guitar pickups was really nothing more than that except for a convenient clip on plastic housing and I was not so sure about the sound quality of this “professional” item making it worth the over 20 dollar price . . .

hmmm :confused: I can probably get my hands on a resonating microphone to strap on the back of the dou, but It will probably either be really expensive or really bad sound quality…

Your microphone needs to be on the resonating part of the dou , the front skin , most of the contact microphone won’t even get a sound if you put it in the back skin of the dou , you can use additional pickups in your back when recording in studio to get a warmer sound .

Most of these pickups are placed under the bridge , inside the box , in guitars , upright bass , violins etc , even shamisen , some inside the bridge itself . You can find something like Kyle uses in the last blogcast as well , no modification needed for your dou :slight_smile: !

Thanks for the advice!!

Do you know where I might be able to find one though? (it may have been the blogcast that gave me the idea… :stuck_out_tongue: )

You can find one here : http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_c_411_l.htm
but the shipping from Germany to Australia might be expensive , it seems really hard to find that type of microphone over the “classical” web shops , i know that contact microphone can be done home quite easily with Piezo cells .

Did you go check some violin shop ? You might find that type of pickup there , more than the shop where you can buy guitars and bass , the type of contact microphones made for guitars usually go under the bridge sadle now .

That’s what I’m looking for!

I didn’t realise that violins would need them so I didn’t think to look. Thank you :slight_smile:

You’re welcome ! i hope Kyle will drop by this post to tell us what pickup he’s using !

I hope he does too!

i just found something that you might like ! http://www.shorelinemusic.com/music/pickups-preamps/kk/kk-banjo-twin/ K&K makes a lot of contact microphones .

That’s pretty much much perfect. now that I know what to look for, I might do some leg work and see what I can find :slight_smile: