Any Biwa payer around?

Sorry for off topic. Just recently got and restored a bit an old chikuzen biwa.
Just curious if anybody here also plays biwa beside shamisen or other Japanese instruments (shinobu, shakuhachi, kokyu etc).
If someone have links on similar forums and info in English or Russian it would be great.
Sorry, have no idea how to rotate the attached photo. It is vertical originally.

3 Likes

I had purchased a student model koto at the very beginning of this year. It wasn’t too expensive and I had sold a 12-string guitar to buy it.
I love the sound of the biwa (and related pipa, bipa).
If I had a place to work wood…I wouldn’t be living in the city.
Keep us posted in this thread or something to see your progress.
Awesome to start a new chapter. <3

I have got a half size “travel” koto as well from Japan. I have an impression it was used at school at some point, just to give students an idea about traditional instruments.
I was thinking to buy full size one but shipping cost to Canada is enormous due to the size restrictions… :frowning:
Good part about this small one: it actually has pegs hidden in the box, so tuning does not requires 2 adults :wink:

1 Like

I’d love to play the Biwa someday if I can get my hands on one. They have a wonderful sound.

I did take lessons from Yoka Hiraoka in US but not lately. The biwa notation is Chinese so closer to sanshin from Okinawa. If I look up her this is most relevant

http://www.japanesestrings.com/biwa-recital-and-lecture.html.

Perhaps if search for that style of biwa and your rake lessons there will be more contacts.

I only have time for sanshin now so sorry…but wanted to give you information.

Mari

Thanks a lot for the link!
I have been playing some shamisen songs on biwa so far :wink:

Hello :wave:
Can you please give a reference for the fret positions on biwa with respect to Shamisen positions. I’m trying to figure out the fret positions on the biwa for making one, but seems like there’s very less documentation on the internet. Thank you :blush:

Page 169
Google Books
Francis Piggot has measurements of strings between Biwa frets. My device had a small screen so could not capture a snapshot of the fret measurements but so a table on page 169 in googlebooks which should assist?

Warning…I read Biwa frets are not standardized but can try to measure 5 string chikuzen student model with flat tail piece.

Shamisen has 14 plus no fret finger positions and I use Kyle Abbots markers on a shamibuddy.

Biwa has frets and use Chinese elements for symbolizing which frets…I have student one to measure. The student chikuzen has a flat taillpiece so may be easier to construct and measure frets. That one could be 5 string.

Maybe someone else will answer you quicker as it may take me a day or two…

Kind Regards

Mari

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Mari​:+1::+1::+1:

Hello

I would not rely on frets positions measured as scale length might differ a bit.
I would suggest use scale calculator in order to get exact positions for the frets for pentatonic scale.
Depending on biwa type the spacing might be different as well (4 frets or 5 frets)
Here is the example of tuning for the 4 frets one:

1 Like