Bachi and reskin

I am aware and searched but got lost in the comment threads of too many posts that I admit, kind of soured my taste for the posts.

Carbon fiber… I am an experienced Surfboard shaper who still has Clark Foam blanks in his possession… I am experienced with fiberglassing and carbon fiber surfboards. Can I make a Bachi using these materials? Carbon fiber has different density of weaves and I also made bamboo bike frames so is it feasible to make a nice Bachi using a combination of these materials?

For the skin, I’d rather go synthetic. I want to send one to Kyle to reskin but are there alternatives that are feasible? I have never reskinned a drum or it’s like so I’d appreciate input on this.

Thank you for considering my experiences in this matter… they simply don’t match up.

I would say use your skills and knowledge to make yourself a bachi! As for reskinning, I have ripple on mine. My other one has dog skin. They sound different but not in a bad way. I prefer ripple for durability as it is bomb proof. Dog skin will be affected by humidity and temp so you will have to reskin more often.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Oh also, photos of your new bachi would be awesome, haha

1 Like

Photos!! These are the FleaBay listing photos

They are very much up to par with the photos. I trust Japanese sellers for my other hobby in Photography and the seller descriptions have been totally spot on. I believe in the idea of Kintsugi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi) and will use my experience to help things out.