Bachi identification

Hello everyone. Once again, I would need the help of Bachido’s sensei. I “inherited” this bachi. What do you think ? The shaft seems horn, but do you think the tip is tortoiseshell ? Is there a trick to recognize faux-bekkou ? Whatever it is, it is very comfortable and I have to get used to it after the huge Minyo bachi I used to date. By the way, do you think tsugaru bachi can be used even without practicing standard tsugaru aesthetic ? Thank you again to all.

It looks like turtle shell to me! And yes of course the Tsugaru shamisen futozao and Bachi can be used in any way you want. Tsugaru Shamisen technique is very specific and requires a certain striking technique on the strings as well as shape of the hand, fingering shapes , finger nail etc. etc… However it’s not against any law or rule to use the same tools in whatever way or style you want. The worst thing that will happen is some stuffy traditonalist will say something rude about you like “oh look at the silly way they are playing Tsugaru Shamisen.” I’ve always felt that those moments were great opportunities to hold up the middle finger and say " so what!? Rules are made to be broken anyway!!!" haha!

Thanks, Kevin. I’m not surprised by your answer… And yes, I’ll try a kind of “fusion”.