Bachido Blogcast E47

Details on the Shamisen Workshop w/ Masahiro Nitta! - http://www.facebook.com/events/573176889360517/?fref=ts

Details on Concert w/ Masahiro Nitta! - http://www.facebook.com/events/292122114247148/?fref=ts

Shamisen/Hougaku enthusiasts of California, do we have a special treat for you! On March 9th, Masahiro Nitta will be coming all the way from Sapporo, Hokkaido Japan to lead an epic shamisen workshop in San Jose, following with an equally-epic concert in San Francisco on March 10th!

Koto wizard Brian Mitsuhito Wong, who will be playing at the March 10th concert) came over earlier this week to tell you all this exciting news, as well as bust out a fresh koto/shamisen jam! Take vacation!

If you guys live rather close to each other you should try to come up with some kind of organized shamisen + koto recording. I’ve never experienced a koto in real life but it sounded like the shamisen is a lot louder and you had to try and be quiet Kyle.

Man, I wish I could join you guys in San Jose!

Ooh! In the studio? That’d be pretty darn sweet! Yeah, I had to hold back a bit, but more out of fear of clipping from the camera (who’s non-pro mic was set to ‘Auto’). In any case, that would be fun to bust out a single! We’ll see what happens! He lives about two hours away. (Not too bad, but…)

Oh! On bit of exciting news - He might teach the free koto crash course when we set up other sections! :smiley:

oh that would be cool love the koto . . .

During yoga this morning, somehow I thought, “Gee, I wonder if BH could make a 12 string KotoSem.”

It’d probably need a little reinforcement for the string tension. :wink:

Two hours away, hmpfh! I laugh at that distance!

Very nice improv, really like the sound of the koto and shakuhachi together.

sorry I gotta comment on this even though you gotta be kidding :slight_smile:

1. during yoga :slight_smile:

2. as I was brushing my teeth this morning the thought of building a koto indeed crossed my mind followed by the thought that I could of course only approach this from a didley bow perspective I mean using that as a starting point conceptwise and thinking about adding up to 5 additional strings or so . . . 12 would be overly ambitious for starters I think and not to mention the sure to follow tuning horror :slight_smile:

anyway . . . could be a suitable and cool looking piece of wood from the woods as a base, string attaching would be easy I figure and moving some movable komas in should be no serious problem and also guess would be an even easier way of tuning than coming up with some kind of mechanics where the strings are attached hm this is getting better and better and actually the first idea for the first instrument was to get a cool looking piece of wood from the woods so it does sound kind of tempting to come back to and pick up this idea for a thanks for the suggested name . . . of course . . .