Bachido Store Sanshin

Hi all!

So, I’ve been wanting to add onto my minyo repertoire for a while now and have fallen in love with Okinawan (and Amami) folk music too. So I’d like to get a sanshin, but I’m wondering about the one sold here - what exactly are the details about it? :stuck_out_tongue: There’s a bunch out there with the likes of Asoviva and Sanshinshop and all and I’m wondering how this one compares. Does anyone here have experience with the Bachido sold sanshin?
Thanks!

Hey Ian I don’t have much experience with the store sold Sanshin although I am a Sanshin player so I can tell you a bit about it based on what i see in the picture posted.

The artificial skin pattern on this model indicates it’s the beginner Sanshin. From the looks of it it comes with a plastic bridge and from what I can see a plastic bachi among other things.

If I were you I’d opt for the Asoviva/Asobi sanshin. They give you more for the price in addition you can get the ebony bridge along with the buffalo horn bachi which will produce a better sound. Also i believe the skin on this Asoviva is the standard Artificial skin which is a big step up from the beginner level artificial skin.

http://www.asovivasanshin.com/traditional/

Feel free to pm me if you need help with anything :slight_smile:

Thanks so much! I was looking at the traditional Asoviva and now I know it’s the way to go. Thanks again :smiley:

Anytime! I am glad I could help.

Asoviva also sells the bamboo bachi used with Amami style,
which I purchased from them last year

Ok thanks! I’ll keep that in mind :smiley:

I believe Amami sanshin’s use yellow strings as well. I don’t know if it differs from the white strings that are used other than the color, but it may be a good idea to look into that if you want to play Amami style.

Thanks for the heads up, from what I’ve heard and seen they’re either identical save for color or a slightly lighter gauge (since they seem higher pitched) but nothing definitive :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll check it out tho.