BachiEuro

A few of us were talking about getting together in Arnhem in the Netherlands over summer. I’ve posted an event under the local area events but if there is anyone around from further afield feel free to join in! Dates still TBA.
P.

Ah~!! I wish I could go! At some point, I hope there’s some sort of Japanese festival/concert which I could apply for (or be invited to, as I’m lazy about applications/forms :stuck_out_tongue: ), as it’d be a terrific way to head over there to visit all ye EuroBachido members! :slight_smile:

well, there’s always Japan Matsuri in London around October! No application forms necessary :slight_smile:

Really? How do you accepted?

This may sound really cheap of me, but is there chance that “foreign talent” (if I may be so bold) can be flown in? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always played along with Hibiki and students, so in that sense there is no application form as H does the fixing. If you wanted to play solo you would probably have to contact the organisers.
Not sure about the flying in :slight_smile: I’ve usually sorted my own transport. You may be able to blag some accommodation while here though :slight_smile:

I think this is awesome but currently my summer plans are very vague. We’ll see what happens!

Hi everyone. I’ve updated the BachiEuro get together event for anyone in Europe (or further afield!) who might want to come to Amsterdam and meet up on the 25th August. Very casual, play Shamisen, drink Belgian beer and eat bitterballen in the Vondelpark. Good possibility for some cycle tourism too!
Happy practicing!
P.

So! BachiEuro in Amsterdam did take place… only it was in Ooosterpark… sorry to all the people who might have gone to Vondelpark by mistake ha ha!
Here is a pic of the event as proof. Maybe next year it can grow!

Japan Matsuri in Trafalgar square, London, in October is next…
Pete.

Go BachiEuro!! Two is more than one! :smiley: Who is the player on the right? Are those pickups on his skin?

This shouldn’t phase me anymore, but just looking at this picture, I paused and simply marveled at the fact that two shamisen players got together in Amsterdam! Who woulda thought this three years ago?

Good luck at the next BachiEuro meet in London! Amanda, Cana, Michael, all y’all? I hope to see a large appearance. :slight_smile:

Hi Kyle.
Yeah it is great that there is more opportunity to learn Shamisen now than a few years back. Definitely your site is helping people connect easier.
We played in the park, and people often asked what was the name of the instrument. Maybe one day someone will come and say “Tsugaru Shamisen, cool!”
It’s Hibiki playing the Shamisen with the pickups. They are glued on the skin so it can be played either acoustically or with an amp.

Ah, I see! I thought so, but not seeing him in kimono (which I’ve always seen him in) threw me off. :wink:

Yeah, it’s just like that when playing on the mall here in Santa Cruz. However, every once in a while, somebody will come up and say “hey cool! Shamisen!” That feels good to hear every so often. :slight_smile: