Beginner bachi grip question

I recently started playing with a bachi, and I’ve been having some mixed results with it. I have no trouble at all with doing just a regular downstroke (maebachi?), but when I do an upstroke (ushirobachi?) the bachi catches on the string and twists in my hand.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I feel like I might not be gripping hard enough, because I use a fairly relaxed grip.

I had bachi slipping problems until I tried making a bachi gomu (handle grippy-thing). They sell them in the Bachido store, and you can make one pretty easily with some athletic tape, like they put on a baseball bat handle, for example.

I’ll try that. Thanks!

Dude, it’s not easy! and frustrating! Especially if you are used to using a pick!

Keep up the practice!!

I feel your pain.

In the famous words of Dan Savage, it get’s better.

In the famous words of Dan Savage, it get’s better.

Sam,
The proper gripping of the Bachi is something that needs to be explained very clearly. Kyle Abbott is great at this and has plenty of online instruction. I have also made some vids and offer online instruction and the way to grip, distribute the energy of the hand from the shoulder, through the arm and into the Bachi has been a huge part of my lessons for a long time now . Feel free to send me a PM for more info and be sure to look up Kyle Abbott’s stuff as well.
Also Kyle’s book has a very good explanation. If you don’t have a copy it’s highly recommended!

Hey Sam,

for how to hold the Bachi, maybe this Video could help you: 津軽三味線 撥の持ち方 - YouTube

Or this picture: http://koto-shami.info/wp/wp-content/uploads/862666d93d36b75a49daae80a2e54e37.jpg

Just apply it equivalently to your right hand, if you’re a right hander like most :slight_smile:

A little bit of clarification just to clear up confusion:

Regular Downstroke: No clue how it’s called in japanese? :stuck_out_tongue:

Upstroke: Sukui (Indicated with ス in Notation / Tabulature)

Maebachi: Playing on the Rim close to the Neck, more silently and with a “clicking” sound (indicated with 上 in Notation / Tabulature)

Ushirobachi: Playing right in the middle of the Body/Drum, near the Koma/Bridge, very loudly (indicated with 下 in Notation/Tabulature)

Regards
Andreas

Thanks, Andreas! That video really helped! I think I got it about right, but I’ll need some practice to get used to it.

Do you play with the very tip of the bachi? Is one even supposed to? I stopped paying attention, I’m using the supposedly more difficult wooden bachi and practically never had such issues up or down the stroke.

Now if I could always hit the strings I’m supposed to X-D

I’ve been playing a while now with my little finger not exactly parallel to the handle of the bachi. Is it necessary for it to be parallel and are you supposed to feel strain in your inner arm and hand muscles when holding the bachi?