Building a Shamisen from Parts???

I live on a budget and can’t afford a Shamisen… I bought Kyle’s book but… My woodworking skills need some help and more tools… I see damaged Shamisens for sale every once and a while and was wondering… If I bought a few damaged Shamisen, would I be able to lets say… Hmmm… Build one good one from 2 or 3 damaged ones… Or since they are handcrafted would this be out of the question… I could probably, do some light woodworking stuff, but I don’t have many tools.

the parts are not interchangeable they were ment to fit only 1 shamisen. You could of course buy a busted one and have it repaired.

same woodworking and tools and gazing at the pictures in Kyle’s book situation here . . .

anyway I will be looking at the used and broken and sanshin markets now too thanks to your post if only to get a broken piece for inspiration or to use it as a base for making something fancy (or weird) out of it :slight_smile:

Hi Marvin,

Yeah, I think it would definitely be possible get a few damaged shamisen and make a new shamisen with the best pieces of each. As Jessica said, the pieces were made to fit one shamisen, but with slow and careful shaving (or shimming, if more wood is needed), the joints can be reshaped to fit snugly with the new pieces. It’s all wood, after all.

For taking off wood, I believe all you would need is a fine file, some sandpaper. (because the joints are already made, you won’t want to take off much). For adding shims, you’d just need thin slivers of wood and wood glue.

Thanks to everyone for the information…
The search continues…