Building a Shamisen

Wow! so inspiring! I can’t wait to start my own shamisen!

Just finished the nakago. I was worried about attempting the ayasugi but I’m glad I went with it. It turned out much better than it could have. There is still some fine sanding and filing to do once the dou is ready but for now its fine.

Kyle- I like your case man. the mitsu-tomoe on the front is great.

Liam- Trust as soon as its done there is nothing that could stop me from showing it off. Until then I’ll try to put up a video of my Jiuta.

Next i will probably start working on the tenjin.

Whoa! Props man! You got the nakago ayasugi so clean!! I suppose I always made mine too thin, as they splintered off when cleaning with a fine file.

Very inspiring work!

Alright is been awhile since I have posted any updates. My tenjin is coming along great. I just have to carve out itokura so I should finish this weekend and pics will follow.

Until then I am almost finished with another project I’ve been working on. As paranoid as I am about something falling on or otherwise damaging my shamisen. I felt it was important to take some steps to protect it until I get a case. So I had some scrap laying around so I figured Id try making a case. The case came together much better than expected. So even though its temporary I figured I might as well try to make it look as good as possible. So let me know what everyone thinks.

I am by no means a painter this is actually one of the only things I have ever painted. Its not a medium I comfortable with.

All that is left is to do it to do everything I can to seal it to make it as water resistant as possible.

The case its self was surprisingly cheap to make and is very well padded there’s no doubt is a much safer way to store and transport my shamisen temporarily.

What does everyone think?
Thanks Again, and stay tuned.

Looks great :slight_smile:

How much did the materiel cost you?

One thing that I’ve thought about, considering I have a similar one but in plywood + plastic, is that it would be great to have some kind of anti-moisture padding along the edges. I don’t know if it should be some kind of brush, some kind of layered rubber strips or what else.

But if it starts to pour down rain on your case the water will find its way inside. I just thought that such a solution might make it a little water proof. At least it would give you time enough to get under shelter.

Gwyn you are a beast at making things. everything in this thread looks phenomenal!

1 Like

Amazing work!

@ Karl
I didn’t keep track but I know under the whole case cost under $50.00 to make. most of the cost was for the padding. I’ve had similar thoughts about how to seal the lid. Perhaps with some kind rubber tubing that’s compressed when the lid is closed and pressure is applied by the latches. or maybe its just easier to find a plastic sheet / rain poncho material to keep in the case. I’ll post another picture once its lacquered and I attach the corner braces.

Gwyn - All your pieces are very cool. Love the thoughtful design that went into your cases. Beautiful and very functional. Great work!

One thing that came to mind yesterday when I almost cried…

I recently moved so I haven’t really got the sun’s area of effect memorized yet. Basically I had left my case in a room that during the afternoon got hit with constant sunlight. Fortunately I noticed it when the light rays were half way through the box and the dou was still in the shadow. The black box really soaks up a lot of energy.

Therefore I was thinking that the case should really be painted white. In that case it would not get that hot even if left in the sun.

What do you guys think?

Therefore I was thinking that the case should really be painted white. In that case it would not get that hot even if left in the sun.

That’s what I’d think. However, when I see this picture, I wonder if color even makes a difference.

…or maybe that guy just likes to be uncomfortable. :wink:

That’s what I’d think. However, when I see this picture, I wonder if color even makes a difference.

http://i.imgur.com/zaMQK.jpg

…or maybe that guy just likes to be uncomfortable. :wink:

Dark clothes protect better against UV rays. I don’t know if the arabs realized this by scientific experiments back in the day when they were the most advanced culture, but somehow they seem to have stuck with dark clothes. Perhaps there is some Darwinism in here, that all the white clothes people died out in skin cancer? Just a theory. It is logic that if light is energy and black is the absence of reflected energy, the energy disappears somewhere and that is heat.

Wow that ayasugi is FIT! Nice work!!!

OK, Time for an update. I actually finished the tenjin last weekend but felt like waiting to post.

Anyway here it is… from start to finish.

Carving the tenjin is the most intense part of the whole build, although getting the 45’s on dou right is no picnic. But I could not be happier how it turned out. The constant fear of chipping the tip our gouging out the curves makes you slow down and be deliberate or else be punished. The extra time produced a great result.

Right now I’m finishing the surfaces. They look great as soon as they dry and I get a final layer of camellia oil on them I will post the results.

Ive also have the four pieces of my dou cut out and mitered. I’ll start shaping them this week.

Alright everyone you know the drill let me know what you think.

Thanks again and see you around the forums.

Wow. Impressive! I am not as qualified as Kyle when it comes to building an instrument but all I can say is it looks like you are taking this up as a serious project and I wish you the best with it! Really looking forward to seeing more of the results in the future! And of course the final product!

Looking good!

uau , good work…
i love those bachi boxes. how do you guys make the inside of the box? what do you use for it? it seems so perfect, and fits anything you need to…whats the material you use???
i have an old chocolate box, which i could turn into bachi box, if i knew how…heh… its worth to try…could you help pls???

Wonderfull work Gwyn , did you carve the tenjin only with a gouge or did you use a knife or something esle ?

Sid , I might be wrong , but you can use a simple piece of polystyrene , carve it the way you want and then put the fabric on , or you can use some kind of synthetic resin , or even wood but i guess it would weight a lot .

If you have an old instrument case , try to tear it appart to see how it’s made , it usually looks nice with the fabric on , but when you go deeper it looks really chip , but it works fine :slight_smile: ! Those good old Fender tweed case that weigt like a dead horse are really crappy without all the fancy fabric , but it gives you a good looking case !

Woooa amazing! You are mastering the shamisen´s construction techniques!! :slight_smile:

wow, yep looks like you nailed it :slight_smile: