Building a Shamisen

Hello everyone Ive been on Bachido for a while now so I figure its about time I help do my part to contribute to the site. Ive spent the past couple months working on several shamisen related projects and currently working on my 2nd shamisen. so as I work through this one ill keep everyone up to date with my progress. Plus a few extra projects im doing. I would also like to thank Kyle for his book. Working on shamisen has been the most enjoyable project Ive worked on. Stay tuned for future updates.

Peace.

First up convert my shed into my new work space

Next my first shamisen attempt made with some scrap wood I had around. Its rough but was more or less an attempt to build up confidence.

When I got my bachi and other accessories I hated worrying about them being damaged or misplaced since I didn’t have a case. So I took an old broken jewelry box i had lying around sanded it down, replaced some parts, stained, and lacquered the outside. I managed to also redo the inside so it can securely hold my bachi in the top and strings, koma, yubikake,and other accessories in the drawers.

I’m liking the accessory box! All my wood working experience is furniture and such but I just found Shamisen and I just started working on building one, and it is a great way for me to relax and have fun! Its not as unruly as some of the furniture I have made!

oh awesome :slight_smile: great work !

Nice to see someone actually makes the instrument following SoJ book.
I’m not expert but the wood you chose seems too soft. If it is, most likely you’ll run into issues with it later, when you start playing.

First shamisen was only meant to be a test with what ever wood I had in my shop. Ill post my current progress with the “real” attempt later today.

Here is where im at so far with my current shamisen

The wood I’m using is 8/4 piece of Padauk lumber. I love the color and grain pattern.

The sao feels great. I will be finished with the saruo soon pictures will be up soon.

Looking good! I use the same contour gauge!

wow it looks awesome , well done :slight_smile: !

cool!

Wow, Shamisen looks great… : )
I really like the box, too.
Great idea!!!
Am going to have to search for a box
like that so fix up and store my Shamisen stuff…

Finished working on the Saruo today. Sao is done except for the nakago and tenjin joints.

I very happy with the saruo and how the carving went. Let me know what you guys think.

I think tomorrow ill start on the nakago.

Whoa nellie! This looks great! :slight_smile:

Seeing the ayasugi on the fir nakago, I assume you’ll be putting Ayasugi in the dou. :slight_smile:

Glad you’re sharing this, Gwyn! Awesome contribution. :slight_smile:

^.^ cant wait to start my first shamisen…

that looks amazing! the accessory box is very cool too! the sao looks excellent! great idea to use scrap wood on making the first one as a test. i may have to try that some time… :smiley:

I’m about half way done with the nakago so in the mean time I thought I would share a few more misc. completed projects.

First up is the bachi case I made for my case. I actually got lucky to find an old cigar box that was the perfect size to convert. Nothing more than some sanding, paint, high density foam, and fabric and now I have a secure way to transport my bachi, koma, and yubikake.

Next is the Naga Fukuro I made for my Jiuta Shamisen. Nothing to fancy but I do like the way it turned out.

Again let me know what you guys think. Its been nice exhibiting different projects and the progress on my next shamisen. Its a nice way to keep myself working at a constant pace.

Great looking Bachi Case. Wow, it actually looks very, very legit. Man, I made one outta scratch. Big and bulky. I should keep my eyes out for a cigar box as well!

This is the one I made

http://imgur.com/RD37C&vWi9h&1bk9c#1

I had pried the metal piece from my computer case. :wink:

Sexy nagafukuro. It has a simple elegance to it. Like the bachi case, the inner white lining really makes it legit. :slight_smile: Well done.

I made a Nagafukuro a few years ago out of a thick curtain. My shamisen certainly was in velvet-lined comfort, but looked a little too delightful. :wink: Thinner looks nicer.

Its a nice way to keep myself working at a constant pace.

Haha! I know exactly what you mean. When you start working, you just get into the flow.

It’s tricky switching between making an instrument and doing computer (Bachido) work. After making progress on the shamisen, I start itching to return to the shop as I work on the computer. :wink:

Keep 'em coming!

Thats amazing Gwyn!!! It looks like it will play like a dream, I love the bachi case aswell it’s really cool!!! Well done, can you upload a video so we can see how the shamisen sounds???