buzzing the right way

I learned recently that some shamisen have a buzzing mechanism on the lowest string. Mine doesnt,and when i first examined it i thought part of the nut was missing and didnt know it was intentional until later. Ive seen a youtube where the lowest string seemed to play its open note plus another note half a semitone higher giving a bit of spine-tingling harmonic clash. Is this due to the buzz, or is it someother technique? How is it done? And how can i enhance my buzz? Im thinking of trying a piece of metal.
The youtube is Japanese ASMR Japanese traditional music with ASMR hauta.
Unfortunately the ladys left hand is either out of focus or out of sight altogether,but im sure someone more experienced(which covers most people!)will have some idea what she is doing.

Hi Penny!

Glad you asked! All shamisen are built to make a buzzing sound. If it’s not, then it either needs a notch filed under the lowest string, or perhaps the string is too low, and needs to be raised up with a piece of tape.

Check out this video I made about creating the sawari (buzzing effect) sound on the Beginner’s Shamisen. The same principle should apply with your shamisen as well. :slight_smile:

Hello Penny, It depends on your type of shamisen. If you have a tsugaru shamisen, there is usually a screw on the back of the nut which lifts and lowers the string. If you have a nagauta shamisen, there is no mechanism. The top nut should just cover and raise the two top strings, leaving the lower string to rest on the wood and buzz.

Ive got a nagauta,i think the problem is my home skinning attempts have left a slight dip so i raise my bridge to give the strings clearance. Now i understand the mechanism,after watching the youtube, ive made a little wooden bar which slips under all 3 strings giving a gentle hum to all the open notes. They wernt touching the ridge before because of their angle.