Classic Rock Shamisen ! (A Surprise Memory from Years Ago!)

Hi Bachido!
Well, this post is just for fun! I know we are the midst of all this tai Kai preparation but I really wanted to share this vid as I stumbled upon it this morning. Honestly I was a bit surprised because it was filmed like five or six years ago and I hardly remember doing it. The song is “The Sails of Charon” by the Scorpions and I think it was originally recorded in the 1970s.

Anyway I think it seems to capture a rather good example of what I have been striving to express musically with Shamisen so I immediately thought of sharing it with everyone here at Bachido! Hope you enjoy it!

Dude, that is amazing! Totally gonna try to pick this up.

Man Kevin, what is your secret to playing up and down that fast with the bachi?

I guess the secret is not really a secret, its just practice, practice and practice more, isnt it Kevin??? there aint any shortcut is there???
karl, how is your Taikai practice going on?? its quite a challenge, isnt it?

I have been practicing myself too, there are a few very catchy phrases, i love it!!1 i wish i could go…is there some pre-bachido gathering in tokyo as well?? I would love to meet at least some of you guys???

I guess the secret is not really a secret, its just practice, practice and practice more, isnt it Kevin??? there aint any shortcut is there???
karl, how is your Taikai practice going on?? its quite a challenge, isnt it?

Yes, practice will always get you to the end result :slight_smile: I’m impressed by Kevin.

It is hard to play Kita no Hibiki! But it is coming along. You need to really listen and repeat every part to get a feeling for how it should be played. The notation helps you find out how it should be played but in my experience you need to remember the feeling of each little phrase to be able to play it properly.

It sure is fun though! My personal plan is to have learned the whole song during the coming month. Then I will focus on strength, speed and dynamics during the last month.

I have been practicing myself too, there are a few very catchy phrases, i love it!!1 i wish i could go…is there some pre-bachido gathering in tokyo as well?? I would love to meet at least some of you guys???

I think it is quite unclear right now considering the travel plans change all the time. I need to be in Tokyo in the morning of May 12th. The bachido festival is in May 6th. I need to decide on if I should spend time in Sapporo or Tokyo after the festival.

my advise to you Karl would be, memorize as much as you can…then when you come here and you do all the rehearsals with everybody you will be so familiar with the song and its phrases that it will eventually all come together and you will enjoy it!! and you WILL rock the bachi on!! yeah!!

i cannot go to Aomori nor Hokkaido , but if anybody has time and is willing to meet up in Tokyo will be glad to meet up!!

Karl,
Do you mean up and down like alternate picking with Bachi?
Well I think the secret is to just get the phrases really slow with a metronome and build up speed from there etc.

Yeah man! Memorize what you can of KNH and we will Rock!

Btw what is your middle name Karl? Funny if it starts with an N…
The you will have the same initials as Kita No Hibiki ! Haha!

Yup, that’s what I meant. It kind of looks like it becomes a momevent solely using the arm/shoulder as you don’t have time to rotate your wrist that much.

It is Magnus, so I’m one letter away! Damn it!

I’ll have to make my own version Kita Mo Hibiki.

Well hey, “mo” could work; “(the) North also echoes”.