Different woods for itomaki/sao/dou and potential neckdive

I’m choosing which wood to use for a tsugaru shamisen and I want to avoid neckdive. I used to have an electric guitar that had neckdive which made it hard to play.

I’m considering oak or jatoba for the sao right now (I can’t get Kouki, Shitan or Paduk). To me it makes sense to use that same wood for the dou. It feels like I should aim to have the center of mass close to my lap after all. But from what I understand, the dou is normally made of less dense wood. High end shamisen have kouki for the sao and karin for the dou I think.

That seems counter-intuative. Does the dou have much more volume to make up for it? Or is it because the playing position has the neck angled upwards?

Hi there, welcome.

Neck dive means that the instrument feels top heavy, right? I’ve never really noticed that on shamisen to be honest. A few have felt bottom heavy - but perhaps I’ve just been lucky in the instruments I’ve played on.

In any case, I have some thoughts, though no hard answers:

The current vogue is to use a kind of wood called karin (花梨) in Japan. While this is occasionally translated as quince, this is a different wood from the fruit bearing tree.

Consider the following link

And cross reference here

The neck, which pierces completely through the body, is most commonly made from karin, shitan, or kouki. But other woods are in use as well (a non-exhaustive list includes: maple, japanese oak, snake wood, purpleheart, and satinwood).

Remember that a shamisen is not held perpendicular to the body, but is instead angled upwards. It is further stabilized by a gripping pad place between the hip and body of the instrument.

A shamisen’s body is also, frankly, rather hefty.

Pulling a quick search at random might show you an example like this:

“棹だけの重さなんと1350グラム。 胴は1720グラムです。”
“The neck alone is about 1350g, the dou is 1720g”

This a kouki and karin standard shamisen (5分大). The itomaki are not included in the weight.

http://www.wagakki.com/product_info.php?products_id=54

Finally, there is a tendency to match bigger necks with bigger bodies. This is partly for genre expectations, but also more generally to help manage the instrument’s balance.

Thank you that’s very helpful! Yes neck dive happens when the instrument is top heavy, or at least when the weight distribution causes the instrument to not be balanced near the (instrument) body in a playing position (so the musician has to carry some weight in neck-holding hand).

So even with such a dense wood for the neck, it seems like the center of mass might be close to the shimozao then. In the worst case I think I will be able to add counter weight on the dou or nakago if I feel the need.