DIY: Covered My Tenjin Cover

I’d been debating whether to take a stab at making my own doukake - lots of great examples in the community of DIY doukake. But then opted to just get one which is on its way from Japan now. A sweet black one and got a black neo too. But they did not have a matching tenjin cover which would have been a sweet bonus. So I decided I’d take a stab at gluing some fabric on my plain black one with at least a somewhat similar black design. I came across a killer design and personally I think the tenjin cover came out so good that I may just take a stab at a doukake too! … and no I don’t have Kyle’s book yet (_8^(O)

It’s pretty self explanatory - I’d never worked with fabric stuff before but I just did what I thought might make sense. If you’re curious, here’s what I did. I used a paper towel to cut out patterns - 3 in total …

… 1 for the front, 1 for the back, and 1 to run along the top and sides. I wanted the top and sides one to cover the folds from the front and back so I had to make sure that was sorta flush to the edges …

… also made the tails long so I could fold it into the cover with a lot of area glued …

… I used double sided tape made less tacky by rubbing a bit to hold the paper towels to the cover and also to hold it against the fabric. …

… and if you reverse it by accident just flip it over and redo it lol …

… used spray on fabric glue. took me a while to realize that chopsticks work great to push the fabric down against the cover once the the surface has been sprayed with glue …

… and this is all you need …

After this, I definitely will take a stab at a doukake. I got Modge Podge I think it was for paper after reading a few threads here. Wish me luck lol.

Whoa! That looks awesome! Way fancier than mine :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t wait to see the doukake!

Wow, it looks great! I want to try it. I’ve only made doukake :wink:

nice!

Here is my first try. Paper and elmer’s glue.

http://imgur.com/AHZID4E

http://imgur.com/JGV3gSZ

Wow that’s very clean Phil! Hey man you’re real close to me I’m in Long Beach now but used to live in Costa Mesa.

This might be the better way! I’ve also made a doukake before, with a very cute japanese fabric. I thought it might be too silly for performance. So I got a lacquer one with matching tenjin cover from Japan. To my surprise, the tenjin cover did not fit and would fall off easily. I guess tenjin size are not as standardized as the dou?
Rather than elmer glue, I’d use mod pudge. Just because I have a big jar of it…