DIY Faux Bekko Bachi

So, I think this would be considered a faux bekko bachi, right?

Don’t think I have seen any post about such DIY project yet. I myself am not a very experienced shamisen player, but I do like to make stuff. Kyle recommended to play with it for awhile to test its durability. Hmm, no it’s not gonna break.

I have written a blog post about how I made this bachi. It costed about $10, but it was so much hassle that I have no plans on making another one… also since I have recently purchased a bekko bachi, yay! But hey, it certainly plays nicer than my plastic bachi.

http://www.chungwanchoi.com/diy-shamisen-bachi/

You did a really good job. Making a bachi can be quite challenging for as simple as they look. I’ve spent a lot of time over the past few months refining and tweaking the process that I use to make mine.

Yo, that’s neat. How’s the balance compare to the bekkou your purchased?

I am not very experienced in playing shamisen actually, so I am not sure what you meant by balance? Hmm, If I balance the bachi with one finger, the DIY bachi has a slightly higher (~1cm) balance point, compare to my bekkou bachi.

I should say that the DIY bachi is lighter than the commercial bachi (wood, plastic, bekkou), because I could only add steel instead of lead.

For the most part I was asking about weight and how it feels to play with, irrespective of the shaping on the grip.

I’ve had the privilege of playing with many different bachi since I started playing. Some have felt more top heavy, others more uniform.

This few days I have been working on another DIY bachi. This time I used Delrin for the handle. It’s as dense as ebony wood. The touch of Delrin is rather strange, it feels “soft but hard”… nonetheless it provides enough weight itself, the end product is about as heavy as my bekkou bachi. The “shell” part was done same from my last one, this time with more precision. Though I have actually shaved more pick material off my first DIY bachi and it’s more flexible now. Downside is that it’s quite light.
I am able to play with the new DIY bachi, but not yet very happy because the shape doesn’t fit very well. It has taken so much time to make one… so maybe a commercial faux bekkou bachi isn’t really that expensive afterall.

There is a new style of bachi coming to the Bachido store fairly soon. Unless you already have your heart set on the faux bekkou bachi, you might want to wait a bit before making a decision.

@Chung Sounds cool! I don’t really know the first thing about making one from scratch, but as for the weight I know Hiroshi Nitta just cut a hole in the handle of his and stuck a lead weight in there if you want to try that.

@Josh Ooh a new bachi?? :smiley: Do you have any details? That’s exciting! Haha

Josh! Looking forward to the new product! No, no proper faux bekkou since I am young and have time but no money!

Ian, I have done the hole drilling before, I only inserted steel. Lead would be best. Technically, with proper equipment and caution it is possible to melt lead and pour into the hole. I was saying the Delrin block is heavy enough that no weight is needed at all.

Ah I see now! I must’ve misread haha. Glad it works!

I can honestly say that the new bachi should be available in the store VERY SOON. Keep on eye on the facebook page for more information. :wink:

Will do! That’s exciting :smiley:

Sorry for double post but OH I just saw it and it’s awesome! :smiley: It’s amazing! Stunning work Josh!

Thanks Ian. I didn’t expect the page to go live today but Kyle and I were able to get everything done quicker than expected. :slight_smile:

Josh this is super cool!! I believe there will be individual replacement tip for sale in the future?

Yes, that is correct. I designed these specifically with that in mind.