DIY PVC Shamisen

Oh well, mostly PVC. Once, someone told me to build a shamisen out of PVC pipes, as I have done quite extensive experiment on them while building practice taiko (as of my DIYTaiko.com). The idea of making practice instrument is always to design them in ways so one can practice as close as playing the real thing.

New access to wood shop (for piano) has make things easier; difficult projects more conceivable. Whoever brought up the idea was probably joking, but I believe it would work, knowing different ways to put together PVC pipes, and my increasing knowledge in rebuilding piano. That being said, I wasn’t very precise throughout and I was mostly eyeballing the measurements, with reference to my own shamisen and Kyle’s book. It is more of an exploration and realization of my vision. Estimated material cost is less than $100 for sure, Again I have access to shop tools and I didn’t buy anything new because I always have scraps from different DIY projects.

So here it is… other than the strings and bridge, it is made of pvc pipes, hardwood (finger board), paracord (neo), drumsticks (itomaki), tape (skin). No Azuma sawari. Itomaki are a bit short but I really like the idea of using a drumstick!

It has its flaws and I might rebuild it again for higher compression strength. As of now I am raising the pitch bit by bit. Other slightly inconsistencies here and there, it plays like a regular shamisen! I wrapped the “skin” the same way I do with practice taiko, so they should be plenty strong.

I would like to demonstrate the sound with a video, please however excuse my playing. Also I am using my light DIY faux bekkou bachi.

What is next, I am going to keep playing with it, and start practicing more outdoor under the nice Florida fall weather. It could use some improvement but let’s see if it breaks sooner than I expect.

1 Like

Its got a really interesting sound to it. Very deep and dry. It somewhat reminds of the differences in sound between electric guitar and electric base (though I’m not very versed with those instruments).

Keep up the cool DIY stuff!

Nice! For a starter instrument, it looks like it does the job. I’d like to see more pictures of this to see how the wood fret board fits into the PVC neck, and how the neck is joined to the body.

Cool! That’s Awesome!