drying time for doukake?

I used a LOT of Elmer’s glue - I lost count, but I think I did SIX pieces of paper. It’s all plastic covered now, but how long does it take to dry? (Especially given the fact that it’s all covered in Saran Wrap, lol.)

I did this on Sunday, and covered it with Saran Wrap and rubberbanded it, but it was taking SO long to dry, so I removed the outer Saran wrap after one day, put a fan on it, and left it overnight.

I got a great shell out of it. It’s a little flimsy, (I think I didn’t use enough paper, as I said, I lost count) but I think it will be fine after I put the fabric and the extra paper on.

Do you think it would make a great difference if I were to make the doukake on an unskinned dou? I don’t expect the width of the skin to cause a great difference (maybe I will just use more Saran Wrap), but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

I think I would wrap a layer as if it were the skin on the dou really tightly, and maybe even put some stuffing in on the inside. The shell on mine collapsed in a bit when I took it off of the dou, and if yours collapses in too far, you might not be able to get it onto the dou after you skin it.

Here is what I have so far …

Here’s what I learned

I used WAY too much glue, causing rippling, which translated to the fabric.

I had to take off the outer layer of Saran Wrap to let it dry. I left it on for one day, and then removed it, and put the whole thing under a fan.

When putting the material on the final shell, I won’t use Elmer’s glue again. I’ll try a fabric glue, or spray glue for an even coat. Also, the excess glue on the outside stained the fabric.

I don’t know about other fabric, but Mod Podge will not work on a satiny polyester. It dulled the shine and muddled all the colors.

Ooh! That looks nice all the same! :slight_smile:

When I just used paper, it remained a rather hard shell. However, when coated it in flexible spackle (to try to get a very smooth, uncrinkled shell), it would deform on it’s own weight. :wink: However, putting the fabric over and then a few coats of Zar semi-gloss polyurethane hardened it up and gave it a nice sparkle (semi-gloss gave a classy shine, whereas full gloss looked plasticy). I’m looking forward to trying Mod Podge sometime, as I’m very impressed with the results Jessica had.

Anywho, that looks really nice, Lorraine! Excellent work! :slight_smile:

Thanks Kyle! :slight_smile: This was my “learner” piece, but thanks for the extra hints about the spackle and the polyurethane. I hadn’t even thought of that! There were a couple of stains on the material from the Elmer’s soaking through, so I’m going to try again (I bought lots of the material, so I don’t mind).

I was thinking of trying to smooth out the bumps with masking tape. I tried using Brawny towels on a second form to make a nice smooth top, but I don’t think those are going to work. The form is drying now, and it feels really flimsy.

Mod Podge might work on a different fabric, but on the fabric above, I was so disappointed, because it muddled all the colors and took out all of the beautiful sheen. I suggest trying it out on a small swatch on a piece of the cut away shell first. I wasn’t happy at all with the result on mine.

All this being said, it still looks really pretty on my nagauta! I can’t wait to get a better one made! I’m also going to try to use clothesline to make new a new Neo, and dye it blue (someone else suggested that elsewhere). If that doesn’t work out, I know where to get a nice blue Neo. :wink:

Oh that came out wonderful! If anyone in this thread is thinking about doing this, I know of a place to get some fancy fabric once you guys have this down.

http://www.ichiroya.com/

I’ve known of this place for a long time. They not only sell kimono, but also new and vintage Kimono fabric. It takes some looking around but you can find some really nifty stuff on there at reasonable prices.

Oh, thanks Rachel! I think my next one will come out much better, especially since Kyle weighed in with other alternatives as well. Good to know about the fabric. I was lucky enough to pick this fabric up at JoAnn’s for 5 dollars a yard, but Asian-inspired fabric is hard to come by in this city. Have to drive to L.A. Much nicer to just shop online. Thanks again!

Wow, cool Website Rachel.
Indeed some nice clothing there and decent prices as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Ale

The paper towels worked! The form is beautiful, hardly any wrinkles, and it’s nice and firm. I also coated the towels with Mod Podge instead of Elmer’s. Mod Podge is thinner and spreads better. I used a paintbrush to get a nice even coat. I’m still afraid to try it with the material, though.

Here is a photo - Paper towel form, first attempt completed doukake, and what happens when you use Mod Podge on this particular material.

impressives.
I can get a lot of asian inspired prints from sewing suppliers if i look for fat quarters in quilting cottons, if that’s any help.
I’m loath to use my kimono fabric.

the paper towel form looks amazing, nice and smooth. it wouldn’t need much sanding.

Oh gosh no, I would never use kimono fabric. (Although - if you have a piece left over that is unusable for anything else - the doukake require surprisingly little fabric.)

Wait, you sand your doukake forms? I didn’t even think of that!

I think I can get it even smoother - the only bumps now came from the Saran Wrap underneath, if I lay the wrap smoother, I think I can do it without any bumps at all. Will try it on my next go with my tsugaru.

I think the Mod Podge would work great on cotton (to give it a laquer look on the outside), but you can see what it did to the satiny fabric. :frowning:

i sand most things i make that are paper based, i used to make small toile paper mache trays and such, just wear a mask…the dust is horrid.

sad about the fabric finish, satin brocades are so nice to use, not sure what else would work

Ahh, thank you for the idea! I never thought of that.

i sand most things i make that are paper based, i used to make small toile paper mache trays and such, just wear a mask…the dust is horrid.

sad about the fabric finish, satin brocades are so nice to use, not sure what else would work

Yes, that means I have to put one of those horrible rubber mats on my nagauta :frowning: I hate that little mat, it bruises my arm.

I wonder if pourable clear resin would work?

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I hope it comes in fairly small portions…

Yes, Bryan (that’s how my husband spells his name :slight_smile: ) I believe it comes in small amounts, because jewelers also use it to cast small items. I haven’t had the courage to order it yet, but I found the courage to make a doukake, so I can sure try the resin now! Lol

There are lots and lots of tutorials on YouTube about it. I couldn’t find the one with the painting (a guy covered a painting with clear resin) , but I believe that that one illustrates that it might work on fabric.

if it works epoxy is a good choice for ‘tack’ as it has a softness that polyu. and other formulas don’t have

Perhaps something like this?

https://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/8oz-EasyCast-Epoxy-Kit-p21319.htm#.UaWhAYy3PMI