Extending the Nitta family's generosity

According to his Bachido bio, Masahiro Nitta has a deep desire to bring shamisen music to the whole world (bachido.com/products/masahiro-bio). His father Hiroshi demonstrated the same passion by giving me a substantial piece of bamboo to use for komas (see these posts: bachido.com/community/forum/8089 and bachido.com/community/forum/8857).

I used only a small fraction of the bamboo for my komas. While I don’t have any further use for the bamboo, I couldn’t just throw the leftovers on the scrap pile! The remaining material could supply over 100 more komas.

Following an email exchange with Kyle, I’ve decided to extend Hiroshi’s gift to other Bachido shamisen makers. Therefore, I will be sending several blanks to Cody Buchanan, and the remaining bamboo to Gwyn Harris. After Gwyn has cut enough for his own needs, he has agreed to pass it on to the next builder.

How do you bring shamisen music to the whole world? One koma at a time!

Thumbs up!

ditto!
how lovely of everyone.

Glad to be apart of this. Thanks again to Dan, Kyle, Cody, Masahiro, and of course Hiroshi. Just one more thing to bring us together as a community. Any one else interested in sharing this gift I’ll post a notice when the bamboo finds its way to me.

I feel very humbled for the opportunity to use some of the bamboo kindly donated by the Nitta family. The komas will have much more meaning knowing that not only were they made by hand, but also out of the very same log of bamboo that was used by other Bachido members.

This is the spirit of Bachido. :slight_smile:

The bamboo has reached me safe and sound. I can’t wait to start working with it. As a Horticulturalist bamboo has always been an interesting topic to study and Its really cool to see such a large piece of bamboo.

I have recieved mine as well, though mine is considerably smaller. I don’t think I will start on mine just yet since I am still trying to decide on what to use for the second material. I’m thinking maybe some fossilized mammoth tusk or some of the leftover katalox that I bought to make itomaki out of.

Huzzah!! :smiley:

Use that material wisely, my friends. And if you want, try making a koma with an aluminum saddle for Karl’s benefit. :slight_smile: It would be worth the experiment.

Kudos again to Dan for passing on the generosity that Hiroshi gave him. :slight_smile: In the spirit of Bachido, imho.

Hmm… an aluminum saddle you say? I might try that since I do have a bar of aluminum laying around in the workshop.