Finaly building my own shamisen!

So after 6 years of playing and learning from the community im deciding to build my own shamisen! I have a few questions !
First off. I need measurements ! Please and thank you ! I know its in kyles book i am planning on buying it soon as i will need it for the build. I just want to have everything ready before i do. Like material ! And i have zero clue how thick certain peaces need to be haha. If anybody could please leave some. It would be of great appreciation.

Second ! What type of wood should i use ?
My local wood shop has bloodwood and somebody on market place is selling big piles of kild padauk. I know bloodwood is of the best quality or near it.

Third! Should i make the neck separate peaces with fittings or one solid neck ? If so how can i go about that ? I see in one of kyles videos of making the sao he also puts a metal rod underneath the fingerboard. What thickness would the board need to be thats placed on top ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im planning on going all out on this. I love wood craft and wood work i make alot of sword props etc out of wood all the time for cosplay. So i think i should have a hand at this.

Starting with the itomaki And tenjin first ! Will be updating the entire way through my first process. Wish me luck guys!

2 Likes

Pre cuts for the tenjin and itomaki are complete ! Noe on to carving !

2 Likes

Got three itomaki out ! Have to finish them angle them to 1.9 and and fit to tenjin when finished.

2 Likes

Updates ! Tenjin been glued and clamped two itomaki have been spiced out ! :hot_pepper:

1 Like

My carpet hates me :grinning::joy: got a lot of vacuuming to do!

1 Like

Almost there!

1 Like

Cutting the kuro aze ! And filing down the hakama goshi! Ebio has been curved next will be the itokura!!
The tsukigata came out two tone !

1 Like

Time to cut the itokura !

2 Likes

The EXCITEMENT IS REAL! im so incredibly happy to have gotten this far. Im so proud of my self haha lets get this dou carved out ladys and gents !

2 Likes

I still have a lot to do! But were making progress day by day

1 Like

1 Like

Man what a task this is

1 Like

Finally one done ! After a few hours i have one dou peace with ayasugi carved!

Second one done ! Im getting a bit better each time

Almost done one more to do.

Last one is coming out so good!

1 Like

Got the dou glued !

On to the 3 piece sao !