Finding local materials for first shamisen build

Hey everyone! I’m planning my first (hopefully of many) shamisen build.
I have build a bunch of instruments in the past (guitars, basses, drums and flutes) and I’d love to get into building shamisen, I’m from Argentina, and you just can’t get shamisen here.

I already bought Kyle’s book should be arriving in a few weeks. Meanwhile I started looking for local materials for the build. Couldn’t find much information about what “karin” “shitan” and “kouki” actually are, or how hard can be (I’ve hear padouk, and rosewood, but there’s a ton of “rosewoods” that are wildly different from each other). I’m leaning on using a local wood called eucaliptus colorado (River Red Gum), it has a beautiful orangy red color and it’s reasonably hard (2,160 lbf - 9,600 N in janka scale) that’s harder than hard maple, and as hard as some of the softer rosewoods. Hard but not hard enough to blunt all my tools.
The other option for the sao could be Pau Ferro, a Brazilian wood that we usually use to replace Indian rosewood or ebony on guitar fretboards.
I’ve noticed that kyle ads a fingerboard of another wood in some of his build, this seems smart to me, it’ll definitely add stiffness to the sao. And has anyone tried to put in truss rods ? either adjustable or a fixed carbon fiber stiffening rod (mora stable and lighter than steel, should affect the tone less)

Other than wood I was wondering what are the synthetic skins made of. I could get goat skin, we use it a lot for drums, but id like to try some synthetic fabrics (maybe nylon waving? or cordura)

On the matter of strings, I’ve seen a lot of people here recommending just to use nylon guitar strings/ fishing line, but I found an interesting set of guitar strings from an Argentinian brand, that are made from nylon, but not a single solid strand, they’re nylon strings wound with more nylon, similar to the bass strings on a guitar, but wound with nylon instead of metal. It reminded me of the braided silk on the shamisen. I’m just hoping they’re long enough.

Lastly, I was wondering what could be the best material to make the bachi. Wood seems like it would be both fragile and no the bet sounding. The acrylic bachi seems like a great design, I’m wondering if celluloid (the material that guitar picks are made of) could be another option to acrylic, plus it has the classic tortoise shell look. 3D printing a bachi in resin (not filament) could also work, I’m not sure how brittle/flexible the uv resin is.

Oh and if someone from Argentina plays, has build, or just has a shamisen I’d love to chat with them. I see only one user from argentina in the forum map.

Any information you guys have would be really helpful

Sorry for the huge post, I’m just really excited to jump into the build!. I’m just really excited to jump into the build!

Hi Knars,

Can’t really answer your more concrete questions about Shamisen building.

But as I do enjoy using my Resin Printer, I can tell you that most Resins used end up very brittle and hard. ABS like Resins are less brittle, but still rather inflexible, at least from what I heard, have not actually tried them myself.

I hope this could help :

Kouki : red sandalwood - pterocarpus santalinus

Shitan : indian rosewood - dalbergia latifolia

Karin : burma padauk - pterocarpus macrocarpus

Kyle has made a Shamisen with a metal truss rod. It has some crazy sustain. https://youtu.be/a-ANDRU6v1Y?t=59

The wound nylon strings sound pretty cool. You’ll just have to remember to account for the extra length needed to wrap around the neo as well as giving a bit to wrap around itself on the itomaki. You could reach out to the manufacturer and ask if the have a set of longer strings available if the ones they offer aren’t long enough

A wooden bachi actually sound ok, but it’s harder to play with due to how stiff the blade is. The tips also have a tendency to break off, but you can round them slightly to make this happen less. You could definitely use celluloid for the blade, but I’m unsure about the handle. This guy fully printed a bachi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtoB72E1ESc If you printed the handle and made the blade out of another material you could probably make a few to find out what size suits you best.

Keep us updated on how the build goes!

Check out Tonewood (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonewood) and the recent article on the South African Violin (https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/an-african-violin-new-study-tests-which-indigenous-woods-could-make-one-173012).

If you find various woods in the right densities, talk with a cabinet shop and they will know exactly what you need. It need not be authentic Japanese if you made it your own.

I am a Sawyer/woodcrafter in California… I am going to primarily use Claro Walnut in a build so each region we live in is different.