First Bachido (or MoS?) CD!

Hey guys!

So, in July, Kevin and I are going to Nitta san’s Fortress of Awesomeness to record the first ever Bachido CD! (It may be a Monsters of Shamisen CD, but I’m pushing for Bachido) Appropriately, Masahiro would like the tracks to be popular folk (or such) songs from around the world, as Bachido is an international society.

Kevin Kmetz just came up with a great idea: We would love to get your input on what the songs would be! :slight_smile: If you know of songs that would represent your homeland/vicinity, please let us know right here!

We’re thinking of a 12 track CD, so don’t limit your song suggestions to just one. :wink:

Kyle

Going to work very soon, but just had to say that this is a great idea! I’ll think about it today. I guess you won’t have a vocalist with you? That’s one thing that I feel hasn’t really been explored. I’m not talking traditional japanese singing because there’s lots of videos of that, but more modern singing together with the shamisen. Oh well, maybe that’s a stupid idea for the CD if its supposed to be traditional folk, but in general it would be cool :slight_smile:

I completely agree, and told Kevin and Masahiro that. Though instrumental CDs are great (especially with such great players as Nitta and Kmetz), I find vocals reeeaalllly add a whole extra layer of win to an album. The human (or other animal) voice really the most captivating instrument, and really compliments strings (and vice versa)

The only downside is, getting singers for each region’s song would be a bit costly . :wink: Definitely worth it for a few songs (especially for a modern song, as you suggest). We’ll see what can be done.

Definitely not a stupid idea at all! :slight_smile:
;\

Yes and I think at least Kyle on vocals for some .

It’s really hard to come up with Swedish songs as our traditional written pieces are pretty boring. I’m sure there were a lot of cool tunes going on in the medieval times and earlier, but no songs have really remained as a folk song. The best thing I can come up with is a hymn from early 20th century. It may seem like it would not fit a shamisen trio, but if you listen to this modernized version by one of my favorite Swedish bands then maybe you will feel that there is room to make the song really cool with a couple of shamisens.

If not I have a couple of Irish songs that I would like to see shamisenized but I’ll wait and see what the Irish say about those first :slight_smile:

Original song:

Metal version:

FALCONER!!!

I’ll overdub some vox, if it fits with a song that gets chosen. You know my singing style. :slight_smile:

Wow. If Falconer can adapt it for their tastes, then I’m confident we can do the same. :slight_smile: Though I love the head-banging-ness of the Falconer version, I’m also partial to the sweetness of the first. Either way, we’ll need to pour on the reverb. :wink:

Okay. Luke’s selected for singing God of Thunder!

Alrighty! Masahiro’s down for Gammal Fäbodpsalm! :slight_smile:

Cool! I can’t wait to see the results! If you need any info on the song to put on the CD etc. I’ll be here to get it for you. Yeah, this song definately gets aided by reverb. You could always go to the place where Kevin and Grant played their oompa loompa song :slight_smile:

I’m going to think about more songs but really hope to see our fellow Bachido members come with their countries’ traditional songs. If you want to check out some renaissance/medieval songs from europe that could be interesting I recommend the following site: Free Early and Renaissance Music - Classical Guitar Recordings

I might take a look and recommend a few songs, but in general most are pretty nice.

And good to see a fellow Falconer fan Ortjo :slight_smile:

Haha yeah i’ve like falconer for ages… Actually found it around the same time as i found shamisen for first time :smiley:
I can actually play the intro of Mind Traveller on shamisen :stuck_out_tongue: Lol

Sapporo to record with Masahiro? Jeeeeaaalous.
Hmmm, Californian folk music…
Kyle?

Karl: Yes! Great idea!! I actually learned to sing countertenor to many of those Dowland songs shown on that page (Weep you no more sad fountains, Come heavy sleep. etc). I love those songs so much. Anywho, we’ll definitely have vox if we choose one. :slight_smile: Thanks for the recommendation! I can’t believe I didn’t think of it myself. :wink:

Fyi, Asano Sho played Flow My Tears on one of his albums. It was pretty sweet, though I was disappointed from the lack of countertenor.

Grant, you just came back from Japan this week. If the stories are true, you have absolutely nothing to complain about. Am I right, Anne? :wink:
(Btw, we have to have a debriefing over pints next week)

Kyle,
All good ideas bro!

Thanks duder! :slight_smile:

How do these sound?

In Darkness Let Me Dwell (Dowland) Andreas Scholl sings Dowland - In darkness let me dwell - YouTube

Kemp’s Jigg, a well known lute song -

And I don’t know how you guys feel about the Ottoman Empire, but I really like this 800 year old Turkish military band song. - MEHTERAN & KIZIL ORDU - RED ARMY - Ceddin Deden.flv - YouTube

I had a hard time seeing the shamisen in Dowland’s song. I mean it would basically be to copy the singing and then add totally new music with the shamisen to it.

Kemp’s jigg sounded like it would fit the shamisen well!

The Ottoman song was pretty good!

This is an Italian song from the 14th century that I enjoy. It could be cool on the shamisen! It was one of my only attempts to learn to play classical guitar :slight_smile:

Asano Sho did a pretty good job with Flow My Tears. You can hear a sample of it here - Amazon.com. Granted, you don’t get to hear much, but you can imagine the rest. :wink: Masahiro’s wanting to make an arrangement for In Darkness Let Me Dwell. He’s also down for Ceddin Deden, so I stooooked!

Oh!! I know that song!!! I forgot where I heard it before, but that melody sounds very familiar. I’m gonna send it to Masahiro. Sounds doable. :slight_smile:

Nuts, forgetting where I heard that melody is starting to bug me… Oh well, I’m sure I’ll wake up in the middle of the night and finally remember. :wink:

Kyle, You mean that 14th century Italian song?
Oh I remember exactly where you were when you heard it.
It was that crazy night back in 1968. Remember when we almost ran into a bear while we were driving on that old abandoned road out past Uncle
Moes gas station? It was later that night after you had picked up your package from the creepy old atique shop where Mary sue used to work. You remember that? You never did tell me what was in that package by the way... Anyway we were on our way home and decided to stop by our favorite Allnight diner for a burger and a cup of joe. That was when we noticed they were playing a neat little selection of 14th century music from Italy on the radio and one of them was that tune. That was it man! Thats where you were! Thats where you heard it! Of course I dont blame you for not remembering, it was afterall a different
lifetime for ya. What`s even stranger is how I can remember any of it since I was nowhere near you guys in 1968 and was in fact living out a peaceful exsistance as a kangaroo out on the plains of Australia.

Lol Kevin.

Kyle have you played Assassin’s Creed 2? I think it was in that, or Brotherhood that I recognized that they had used the song when in town. I was like, damn that’s that song I heard on the radio in 1968!