First Ever Bachido Challenge - Rokudan

awesome. looking forward to hearing the version with the real skin!

uau, you playing is great! i am glad someone took the chalage of rokudan!! we all should do!!! shouldx we??? lets do it!!@

Josh,
Sounds great man!

Josh you show that you donā€™t need the best gear to sound great :slight_smile: Nice work!

Whoa. Great.
Hereā€™s some cheat for those still wanting to participate after Joshā€™s contribution.

Tell me if link does not work.

that was awesome Josh! I agree with Karl, the skill shines through even with the plastic skin, although I have to admit I donā€™t think it sounds that bad

Wow, haha :slight_smile:
I havenā€™t heard many plastic skinned shamisen but I never knew they could sound so good.

Awesome, Josh!! That brought a smile to my face. :slight_smile:

Papa always says, ā€œItā€™s not the instrument that makes the musician sound good, but the musician that makes the instrument sound good.ā€ I.e, a really skilled player could make a tin pot with a string sound just as pleasing as a finely tuned lute (to be semi-poetic). I think thereā€™s definitely some truth to that. As Josh shows, you donā€™t necessarily need a kouki shamisen to make good tone. :slight_smile:

Actually, it reminds me when I was playing volleyball in high school (well, the homeschool community version of high school). When my mates and I got promoted to ā€œA Teamā€, everyone suddenly got an incredible ego boost (not in the good way). One highlight was when my mate went to the ā€œC Teamā€ (beginning team) and took the high end volleyball from them, saying ā€œWeā€™re the better team, so we need the better ball.ā€ I found that hilarious. I thought, if weā€™re truly the superior team, we should be able to dominate even with a deflated balloon! :wink: Needless to say, I stopped playing.

Really, really looking forward to your experience with the FiberSen, Josh :slight_smile:

Iā€™m gonna try kawahari on my bloodwood shamisen today, so hopefully I can start working on my ichidan soon. I havenā€™t played in a while, and the lack of skin hasnā€™t helped. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2BkYgmxRVw

here my vid (finally)
hope itā€™s okay

hey cool thanks for sharing the clip

Nice videos people! I need to work on my pitch, man. I guess I also gotta get around to putting something up soon, huh? Well, it just so happens that Iā€™ll be in kimono for an event on Saturday, so maybe Iā€™ll record something then. Surely wearing a kimono will make my playing ability, like, a million times better, right?

ćƒØćƒ¼ļ¼

I finally got around to putting my video together. Iā€™m not completely satisfied with it, but hey, itā€™s been kinda slow on here with the posting, so I figured I might as well put it up anyway. I might make another one before the year is through, but for now, take a look!

Man, I should probably invest in some better lightingā€¦

Jamie,

Youā€™re Rockinā€™ man! And yes, wearing a kimono certainly helps make the performance that much more epic! ē¬‘!

Keep up the great Roku Danning!

As usual, epic power in your playing!

Jamie, that is a wonderful Roku Danning and you look great in Kimono!!

Nice playinā€™ Jamie :slight_smile:

cool playing and apparel!

Josh - you arenā€™t giving yourself enough credit. Your playing sounds really amazing for a lower grade instrument, and for so little practice, you kick ass.

Kevin - I am really impressed with your rhythm and timing with Rokudan, and you are doing such a great job of keeping on smooth with your bachi and left hand technique!

Jamie - I truly enjoy watching your bachi hand and looking at how you play your Shamisen! It is sounding awesome!
Also, I am jealous of your outfit.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I swear though, while I fully understand the concept of maebachi and ushirobachi and feel like I am executing them properly, watching myself on video really shows how much I need to work on making them distinct. Also, I wonā€™t be satisfied until I can seriously wail on my shamisen like Noriko Tadano.

I mean, look at the height of her windup! Gah.

As for the threads, those are mine. Iā€™m not sharing. Well, maybe Iā€™ll share another picture (Kyoko, youā€™ve seen this one):

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/270999_693930605474_7466432_n.jpg

Props for wardrobe! I hope Norm grants a few points for that. :slight_smile:
(Btw, is anyone gonna be judging these?)

Hey Kevin! Do you want to record Ichidan together when you come to SC??