First Ever Bachido Challenge - Rokudan

Ladies And Gents

I was recently told:

anyone can mimic Rokudan by hitting the notes. But very few can actually play it.

In response to this, I have spent the last 2 months (4-7 hours a week) practicing only Rokudan.

And as I get my motivation from those around me…

I bring you the first ever Bachido Challenge

Between Now and December I would like everyone to upload their respective videos of Rokudan at whatever speed you wish to play it.
When I say Rokudan, I am referring to the ichidan section of it.
If you don’t know what this means, just record what you’ve got!!

Rokudan is a song that has several small variations depending on player/teacher/etc… so it should be interesting to see what we get.

This challenge begins now in September, and will run to the end of December 2012.

I look forward to seeing everyone’s videos!

Seems we have been doing the same thing :slight_smile: I’ve played other things as well but I agree with you that we should all be proficient with Rokudan. I’ve been practicing the other parts as well but it’s really hard to get a solid recording of all the six parts.

One thing that I’ve noticed is different is how long the pause between some parts is. This obviously makes it harder for people that have learned it differently to play together.

One thing that I’ve noticed is different is how long the pause between some parts is. This obviously makes it harder for people that have learned it differently to play together.

That is what I have been wondering since I began to take lesson last December, how long it is to pause or last one sound. There is no clue like western notation, and whenever I listen carefully what my teacher tells us, all what I get is, long or short or just move quickly there. I understand that is the key to what is called Tsugaru shamisen indigenous rhysm, special to Asia or Japan. This is partly borrowed from the explanation by Agatsuma statement.

However, strange enough but when we play in a group, there is somehow no problem, and partly because our human musical instinct and leader’s uttering “Hah” or “Haihh”!!! It always makes me realize what comes next in what way.
中村さん!!Nice hearing your good old Ladies and Gents!!!
At the first and last concert for me in July, I played in a group of 7-8people, and more than half was met 30 minutes before the play and we had just 5 minutes rehearsal.
We played Rokudan part one, and it was quite fine!
Now I am very happy to have finished up tp Rokudan part 3!!!
Our teacher says Let’s try different song next!! and it can mean, I understand, part 1.2.3 is enough for the time being for us.

Sorry, the message to Norm should have come to the first or last, but I cannot correct it.

The song isn’t that hard really if you give it enough time. Part 1-3 are very similar, and part 4-6 are very similar.

Of course you need to practice a lot to get it sound good. But my advice would be for you to at least start trying out all the parts. I’ve found that practicing the different parts help you with the first part as they are so similar.

And when you can play the tones, you can always improve the tone.

To help with the challenge, here’s my favorite recording to practice to:

They play it a bit different than in Kyle’s book, but the tempo of the song is a bit slower than other recordings, which helps a lot when practicing.

Challenge accepted!

I would love to try to play Rokudan, but I am very much a beginner so I have only seriously tried Kuroishi yosare bushi.
Is there any way I can get hold of the Rokudan sheet music?
I would love to see it as the second song in the crash course:-)

http://www.shamimaster.com/gakufu.html

There’s a version of it

Kyle’s book also has Rokudan together with many other famous pieces.

Hmn, this might be just the incentive I need to get serious about actually learning Rokudan. I’ll give it a shot.

Kyle’s book also has Rokudan together with many other famous pieces.

Great idea Karl! Soon to be available on Kindle once Luke tells me the bloody password for our bank.

I got Kyle’s book this morning. Found it a wonderful book, and it really is my first Shamisen paper book. Looks a happy and funny thing that I read Japanese culture in English(^_^;)
Anyway, now I can learn Rokudan part 4.5.and6, without depending on my teacher.

I am down. I’ve never really taken the time to perfect parts 3~6.

It’s been so long since ive been on . Miss this T-T

Welcome back Stev. Yeah tons of new topics and discussions popping up here recently! Join in the fun man! Lots of new vids being created too! A lot of Shamisen stuff that appears pretty much only on bachido so yeah !

Hi there Stev.

Don’t worry there is plenty of time to read all the posts X-P

I’d take you up on this but i have another month waiting for the ship to arrive with my shami’s

Here ya go~

1:25 is where the business starts.

wow that is cool! I like it :slight_smile:

That is a wonderful play, Josh san!!!