Forming a Bachido App Team!

The Bachido Wiki will be implemented server-side with Gollum, the wiki engine that powers GitHub. Having a REST/JSON API would be no problem. That’s what I’m thinking… the app could request either HTML pages or fragments as necessary, or request JSON data and do its own rendering. Local caching could be added on top of that. I think some of these new HTML5 mobile-app frameworks have nifty caching somewhat built-in (easy to add).

As for the scale viewer, I’m assuming it’s all client-side Javascript, eh Karl? Maybe we’ll have to talk about integrating your creations into Bachido.com at some point, if you’re down…

I was thinking that I would just convert the client-side javascript into app code. We would be able to have some nice user interaction with animated stuff. There are quite a few apps for guitarists that will show you tons of information. With the app it would be easier for all of us to contribute to new features.

In the latest workshop Kevin was going through chords for example. The scale viewer allows for creating chords but it’s not user friendly for people who do not know music theory. That is one point that could be gradually improved by all who contributes to the app.

I would also like to add. Making the stuff available online instead of an app was due to two reasons. The first was that I had not touched web coding in years and wanted to get some experience. The second one was that my impression of the average shamisen player was that they may be more traditionalists and not use smartphones. Coming back from my trip I would say most have a smartphone and therefore I should not focus on the online part anymore.

I would suggest that Javascript is a powerful language that is being used for all types of coding these days: client-side, server-side (node.js), mobile app development (Phonegap, PhoneJS, Jo, etc)…

Keeping it javascript-based allows for easier cross-platform development, and means you don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Animations and other slick stuff are all possible with HTML5/CSS3/JS. I could see the canvas-related code needing to be converted, though, and perhaps tweaked for each platform. But the logic code can be shared among all. (That’s where good logic/rendering code separation is useful…)

Hey guys,

Wanted to apologize for still not getting around to working on this app idea. This accelerated calculus is insane.

Slow down man. If you derive too fast you’ll get in an accident.

Hey guys, new to this blog.
This sounds like a really cool idea!
If it’s still in the works I would love to throw my hat in this arena.
I have a lot of experience in QA/testing for mobile and desktop environments. Also a good amount of design/creative direction experience in both UX and UI. Just no implementation abilities.

Let me know!

Hi Ryan!

Welcome to the team! :slight_smile:

Though the idea has been stewing for 2~3 years and nothing has really been done yet, I still think it’d be worth restarting, if people have time for it.

I wish I had the technical know-how to give to the project as well, as I could keep pushing it forward. But unfortunately, all I can do is cheer. :-S

Karl, Teague, anyone else who wanted to participate, any thoughts?

Hi guys,

I have been a professional software developer for 14 years, not mobile apps, but how hard can it be? (Famous last words). Anyhow, I can probably help with any coding issues you have and if I don’t know an answer I probably know somebody who does :slight_smile:

Let me know if you need my help.

Hi Philip,

Excellent! Thank you for volunteering to help out! :slight_smile:
As I said earlier, the curious case is that there’s been ideas for at least 3 years for an app, and certainly enough talented developers/coders have volunteered. But for some reason, it just hasn’t gotten off the ground.

I wonder if the main problem is lack of a team leader?
I’m not sure if I’d fit the role, as I don’t have programming skills myself. :frowning:

I think the main problem is motivation. If there were a thousand active Bachido members there would have been a much larger demand for an app with support for sharing stuff.

I’m happy to help but I’m currently studying a few subjects aside from working and gaming so free time is kinda running out!

another motivational problem might also be that everything that already is available works beautifully via the web(site) and that this is a lot of stuff already I personally would only be yearning for an app if it was to include 1) at least one killer application that 2) actually cannot be offered via the website for technical reasons . . . so anyway there also seems to be no pressing need for an app . . .

anyway and unrelated to the app but not worth an extra thread I wanted to point out that since the recent overall design change at least in the view I get on the mobile tablet there is no visible mail alert anymore so I need to open the user menu to see if I got mail which is very inconvenient especially if you like me don’t get mail often so I could easily overlook the fact that mail is there since I dont open this user menu as often as I check the forum . . .

B H, do you not get email notifications from Bachido when you get a direct message? Good point, though…

sure guess so yeah (an old spam ridden email address I don’t check anymore though) anyway I have enough time in the cab to check the forum / site often enough and you had a cute red little box appearing on any page when logged in that there is mail similar to what facebook shows when there is a new message so would be cool if that ‘feature’ could be back . . .

B H, you can change your email in your Account Settings if you like. That said, I have restored the mail icon! (Yes, I ripped the CSS from Facebook years ago…)

Awesome! Haha I’ve been using amazon.com’s orange for over 10 years a splash of it still shows up on my otherwise simplified site with outsourced blog at http://freecarvers.com (#ff9933 :slight_smile:

Kyle, I’m also a professional photographer. Let me know if you need any images, graphics, etc… of Shamisen, Bachi or other parts to use in the app. I hope I can help. Chris

Thanks, Chris! That would be very awesome. If we ever get this app idea off the ground, I’d like you to be a part of it!

I wanted something like this, but its been on hold while uni finals are on (Australia). So seeing this thread I thought I’d share it.

The goal is to make the line by line playing along easier. Basically what it should do is loop the current phrase until I hit a switch (big toe foot pedal? although this won’t work in seiza will it ^o^ ), then we get the next phrase added into the mix.

eg…

1- 8 :expressionless:

1 - 16 :expressionless:

But the switch is just prototype… I reckon we can program it so that yelling “eugh!” or something acts as the switch. I’ve done voice recognition things on c#, but hopefully its not hard to do it on android/java…

The biggest challenge is probably an algorithm to cut the video correctly, so that its timing when looping back on itself is correct.

**Crazy Idea I Had Just Now **

I wonder if you could jam over the net? probably we would need to use a heavy compression and low latency protocol to eliminate as much lag as possible…but wouldn’t it be cool if the community section had a lobby of current jams, and you could just drop in?

The goal is to make the line by line playing along easier. Basically what it should do is loop the current phrase until I hit a switch (big toe foot pedal? although this won’t work in seiza will it ^o^ ), then we get the next phrase added into the mix.

I just use DAW software for this kind of purpose… usually I just have the PDF of tabs in front of me and DAW is kind of metronome (now I use handclaps and a drum that remotely reminds you of the little kabuki hand drums as the instruments here).

Is there a DAW already that can display in arbitrary tab format (I’m sure guitar tabs are available in some already)? Couldn’t be a really big deal to also make them react to an external switch.

I wonder if you could jam over the net? probably we would need to use a heavy compression and low latency protocol to eliminate as much lag as possible…but wouldn’t it be cool if the community section had a lobby of current jams, and you could just drop in?

I suppose common VoIP protocols would be sufficient for protocol and compression/bandwith. You might just get a bit low quality of sound but probably not a blocker in the project.

Network latency I think would be the crippling issue usually. Unless you are in the same LAN. Typically music relies heavily on timing, and if there’s any issues with that, jamming just might become quite difficult. Of course you could rethink music/jamming…