Forming a Bachido App Team!

Where the latency actually comes - just some thoughts:

Same metropolitan area as your jamming buddy - 10ms ; much larger if it’s geographically remote

Modern operating systems have their scheduler tick at 1000 Hz -> this would give a minimal 1ms latency, in case there is light load on the puter and a context switch is necessary, the DAW might use multiple threads etc. I’m not up to details here anymore, but I think the OS scheduler is not an issue. And actually we have multiple cores on home computers nowadays… so, yeah, not an issue I think.

Real time computing has plenty of other challenges, I think there could be lag due to the sound being processed, another process needing attention on the system and so on. For reasons like this we have realtime kernels and you might need one for this project. A realtime kernel could push the system lag to < 50ms I think.

Sound processing? I believe there are other experts here but it might take some time.

Buffering - any transmission of sound needs buffering but assuming you have a good network connection, the buffer can be reduced. In any case I think this is going to be a major latency issue, maybe in the order of 200 ms or something like that?

So in practice, think this gives us a few hundred ms of latency.

And actually not sure how much that is an issue. Players anticipate the next note coming from the jamming buddy anyway, but … maybe this kind of jamming would require its own type of skill.

Why don’t we give it a try sometime? 50% for laugh’s, 50% for feasibility test. If a simple voice application is almost bearable, something purpose built could only do better… Finland to Aus. however is probably outside the realm of possibility though ^o^

A DAW will do it, they even have tab playback software using midi/samples. Maybe we could whack something like that together (or find an open source project…~)

However, something that adheres to Kyles way of teaching (following along / observation) is what I was kind of getting at. Its just that personally I think tab is bad for Shamisen as its such a dynamic and emotional instrument…

are we getting of topic? gomenasai m(_ _)m

Luke Jackson, I understand you may feel like tabs are incomplete but you need to take consideration of the instrument history.

If you study traditional music from any instrument in the world, at the beginning, it is always transmitted without writing the music. This is also why you find so many versions of the same pieces of music. Because everyone tends to hear differently.

Than I would say tabs appears later in order to help people remember the music. Because some musicians never learned how to read Western music notation, it is the best way for them to remember a piece.

In my opinion, it forces you to listen to more music and versions of the same pieces so even though I can read music, it make my learning faster. Mostly because I’m into Tsugaru style.

But I guess if you learn stuff similar to Noh or Puppet theater, you may find western music notation.

Personally I think tabs are the ultimate way of transcribing music for string instruments. All you need to explain are the “fret” numbers, and then anyone can just look at it and understand. There is also plenty of room to add notes on dynamics etc between the bars if it is really needed.

With sheet music you need to be aware of much more to understand where you are supposed to put your fingers.

But most importantly we don’t want to sound just like the person transcribing the music. We should make it our own. Every player takes notes and plays it a bit different to their liking. It is good that not all dynamics are written down. It would be really boring listening to the exact same Ringo Bushi over and over again. At least that’s how I see it.

Is this still being developed?

It’s still being discussed for the past four years. I don’t think development ever started. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dear Mr. Kyle Abbot
I was asked by Ms. Ann Waltonsmith who is the Chairperson of Hakone Foundation Board of Trustee to get contact with you and tell you about the Tsugaru Shamisen Concert at Hakone Gardens on Nov. 15 (Sun.) from 3:30pm to 5:00pm performed by Mr. Baisho Matsumoto and 9 other players. They came from Japan and conduct this concert at Hakone Gardens.
If you are interested in this concert, would you check “Shamisen 15. EVENTBRITE.com”. If you want to buy the ticket, please use the key word “Hakone 5” then you can get the early bird ticket as $25 until Nov. 14.
Mr. Baisho Matsumoto is one of the professional Tsugaru Shamisen players in Japan for over 40 years experiences and also to perform Nagauta, Shinnai, Kouta,Hauta Shamisen and Shakuhachi.
I will be looking forward to seeing you at Hakone Gardens on Nov. 15 (Sun.) at 3:30pm.
Regards.
Takao Shimabe

So I stumbled on this app a few nights ago and wanted to get some opinions of it. “AIBIKI - Shamisen score viewer” does quite a bit more than just view the score and has a bunch of the features I’d love to see in a Bachido App. It’s free too and doesn’t seem to have any in app purchases.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wobniar7.aibiki_horizontal&hl=en

Whoa!!! Now that is cool.
I’m gonna download it to my tablet tonight!
You know the shami world is growing when you can finally say, “There’s an app for that.”

Oh my… I just tried it out. I would say that is almost the dream app for shamisen! You have a tuner which sounds the tone and helps you match your string as well. And even more cool, having the sliding bar match the notation, similar to Karl’s Shamisen Composer. I think it’s really well done.

What that app has is really like everything I would want in an app. That said, would it be possible to make a Bachido app similar without just copying that one? ( copying it would feel just a bit dirty)

Anyway, that app is super inspiring! All-in-one is what comes to mind. Up until now, I couldn’t think of anything concrete besides a simple tuner or forum viewer. Now seeing this, if the Bachido app where to become a reality, those are exactly the features I would love to have!

With an inspiring example like that, would it be time to actually finally get the app project off the ground?

I’m actually looking at building myself some Android tools for shamisen (and a couple of other things) in the next few weeks. So I’ll be sharing any work I do on that.

Ooh!! Very intriguing. Please keep us posted! :slight_smile:

All that is very promising but what about mac and windows users ? Thanks anyway but we feel alone…

Well at the time there was the Shamisen Composer and Scale Viewer by Karl, which was Web based, so Win, OSX and Linux users were covered. I think those are going to be hosted on bachido in then near future.

I hope so… Calvin. Thanks for everyone’s work.

For any potential app developers, I urge you to check out these technologies: Meteor, Cordova, Ionic, SoundJS, WAAClock. I’m using these to develop a non-Bachido app (for bluegrass backup track generation) right now and I am AMAZED at what I’ve been able to accomplish with relatively little coding. Right now I’m still just working on the web app but I’ll be able to use most of the code for the mobile app as well. I’ll have more information/advice to share as I continue developing my app and move on to the Android/iOS part of things. There’s a slight chance that mobile sound playback will have some problems with the Meteor/Cordova approach, in which case plan B is Titanium which still allows me to develop once and deploy to both Android and iOS, while writing my code in JavaScript. Just some food for thought.

I’ve received some requests for my website and it’s taken a while for me to decide what I wanted to do. Currently I will not develop anything more on this project.

Here is the code for the website with the shamisen tab editor and the scale viewer. The code is really bad since I didn’t know javascript at first and then the whole thing was coded on during late nights with trial and error, so no comments please :slight_smile:

I think the more interesting part of the code will be how I use the MIDI format to work with the file. This also allows me to play it back with a third party that’s included. On that topic, there are a couple of third party DLLs in there. My anti virus has not indicated anything but I don’t take any responsibility if something happens to your computer. If you are paranoid you can replace the libraries with the same or newer versions online.

This site uses ASP.NET Razor so you will have to pick up the web tools for Visual Studio if you want to run it. Since the code is a mess I would read the code rather than running it.

I’ve uploaded it to:

Hi, long time no see. How about it ?https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sunnydayworks.tuner&hl=ja

Toshi Shamimaster,

When I click on the link I am redirected to Google Play Store but there it says: The application is not available in your country (which is Canada for me).

Thank you for reply, I didn’t know this app is only in Japan,

I don’t know how to post the picture here, so

I posted the app photo on my blog.

http://shamimaster.livedoor.biz/archives/52020http://shamimaster.livedoor.biz/archives/52020743.html743.html

This is shamsien tuner, it can be tune to Honchoshi, Niagari, Sansagari.

,only in Japanese.