Fujaku Glue Removal

Hey all.

I’ve got a second hand shamisen that recently arrived, and it’s beautiful - but there’s residue from a fujaku that’s really harshing my enjoyment.

Anyone have ideas for removing the residue without stripping off the finish?

I haven’t tried anything yet. It just arrived.

I haven’t personally done this on a shamisen, but I’ve removed plenty of stickers and goo. Orange oil is often gentle, a natural non-toxic product. “Goo Gone” is mostly orange oil. Be careful; do not use “Goof Off” unless extremely nasty, as this is organic solvent (strong, the type of stuff that will self-combust, flammable). They almost look the same when shopping; the names are too similar. There are also some adhesive/sticker removers sold in that same dept (in stores or online). Small section, cotton swab test-- just to make sure you don’t mess up the finish.

What are most finished with? lacquer?

1 Like

Thanks. Since I live in Japan it can be a pain to find specific brands, but I’ll go looking for orange oil first.

I’m actually not sure about the finish however. This would be something I think Kyle Abbott could weigh in on; as much as I’d like to know more about the construction techniques, I still haven’t gotten around to grabbing his book.

Or ask over at Muramatsuya… hmmm

Sorry I forgot- I don’t know what is sold in Japan, in stores or online. Another option might be white vinegar (often used as mild cleaner & disinfectant); and believe it or not, Sprite or Coca Cola (the working agent mostly the mild acid) but there is the sugar and other stuff like coloring to clean-up. Very possible that a strong tea or sake would work. Warm water and rubbing with soft non-abrasive towel sometimes works. I would wait for other advice, because I am just guessing from what I’ve used before for other projects.

I agree with the orange oil suggestion. I have something that’s labeled as candle wax remover. I’m pretty sure it’s just orange oil, because it smells pretty strongly of oranges and it’s nontoxic. It’s great for things like adhesive residue. I used it to remove a nasty old fujaku, and it worked really well.

Hi Christopher!
Ah, I have a feeling that must be an old shamisen? Just like with old dou gomu, the adhesive used is really difficult stuff to remove (especially for the dou gomu). Fortunately, these days both fujaku and dou gomu use an adhesive that’s much friendlier.

I’d agree, Orange oil sounds nice. Perhaps though, rubbing alcohol would take it off more effectively? (As alcohol might be a solvent for those adhesives) I’d also suggest Acetone, but it might be hard to get that stuff there.

Good luck!
K

Thanks for ya’ll’s advice!

It’s an older min’yo (…probably? The doukake reads jiuta, but everything else suggests min’yo).

I’ll report back with results.

Hi, Chris. Sorry to jump on an old topic, but did you solve your problem ? I just inherited from my japanese family an old nagauta with those horrific fujaku traces (you can even identify the numbers in their own places, lol). I tried warm water and those towels used to clean the floor ! Nothing works actually. Didi you try orange oil ? Thanks ! And by the way, what about an pencil eraser ?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but try Goo Gone - its an organic adhesive remover. Back in my car modding days, we used it to remove badges on cars since its all natural and wont damage surfaces. I plan to remove the fujaku on mine soon and will definitely be using goo gone.

Thanks Rob. Being in Japan for the holidays, I’ll try to find out how and where to ask for goo gone here. And yes Virginia already mentioned it ! Thanks to you all !

Hmm…

To be honest, Y’all I got side tracked from this preparing for a workshop I hosted.

Reckon I should take another gander at it. Gimme a week and I’ll report back properly this time

Ok, thanks, Chris.

Patrick,

Since I lacked the other tools for removing glue or gunk that folks suggested, I asked one of the shop owners out here.

He recommended covering the affected area with a wet cloth and waiting an hour.

It worked, yo.

1 Like

Ohhh, really ? Ok, I’ll try. Thanks, Chris.
Update : it worked too ! I would like just a little gloss, but the damage is repaired. Yesss !