Gidayu Koma

So I’ve recently purchased a second shamisen to restore, and at first glance I had assumed it was a Tsugaru based on the skin depth and itomaki size, but I realized it’s actually too old of an instrument to actually be a Tsugaru. (It’s an 1800’s build.) On closer inspection I think it’s actually a Gidayu due to the swooping neck at the bottom like a nagauta. Now if I understand correctly, Gidayu are supposed to use a different type of koma. (One that is quite a bit higher and wider than the tsugaru koma.)

I was wondering if anyone can confirm the alternate koma style, and if so point me in a direction where I can purchase one for the instrument. (Seeing as the Bachido store doesn’t have one.)

Hello Morrigan,

Welcome to Bachido! Very interesting. Yes, that sounds like a gidayu shamisen to me! The koma are indeed very tall, as you said. May I ask, do you want to use the standard gidayu koma for that shamisen, or would you be fine with a shorter koma, if it worked?

Bachido member Cody refurbished a gidayu shamisen, and I believe he uses a tsugaru koma with it. If you don’t mind using a non-gidayu koma, I can contact him for his opinion. :slight_smile:

I’d be interested in at least having one to try out in contrast to the nagauta shamisen I restored earlier this year. I’m guessing it makes for quite the different playing experience, considering how far the strings would be from the skin. (Not to mention, if I remember the physics correctly it should also make it louder.)

I like to try things the traditional way before I start deciding what works for me personally, so getting my hands on one would be appreciated even if I end up decreeing I prefer another style of koma.

Oh I have another question on this topic. Does anyone know why the Gidayu koma are weighted?

Different styles are use weighted koma, often with varying weights. Any change in the koma, such as material, height and weight change the resonance and thus influence the sound of the shamisen. Weighting will give a deeper sound.