Gidayu Shamisen on ebay

I’d like to bring back an old thread. Boy, I really wish I could see pictures of these shamisen.

Anyhow, if shamisen manufacturing parallels taiko making in any way, I would say that definitely China is making them or would be willing, cost would be much cheaper, but end result would not the be same. You can search Alibaba and see many (wild) manufactured creations, and pictures that glimpse the behind-the-scenes factories and small shops. Some taiko parts are partly made in China, then finished in Japan or elsewhere (Jinlei is the China OEM manufacturer of taiko parts). SE Asia, esp. Thailand, also is able to manufacture, for example, they make the bulk of Latin percussion drums. Thailand would have access to materials, like wood, skin.

Being from South Florida, I can say that Haiti definitely could use help in this world, esp. given that recently, Hurricane Matthew hit them and we were lucky here to be missed. However, there is probably a greater opportunity farther south-- South America. Countries like Brazil and Peru have the largest transnational Japanese communities (although many are of Okinawan heritage); as example, their taiko groups are growing; import/export is established, and South FL is economically supported by trade &/or ex-pats; there are many small communities still in need of labor and other support; S.A. has access to materials, a lot still fairly cheap or at least available, like hardwoods (a bulk of tropical hardwood flooring comes from Brazil, for example), tanneries/rawhide supply (both food animals there, or raw materials sent there to process), skilled labor. There is still stigma between Japan nationals and overseas Japanese, but this happens in many places and sometimes there are social changes. Oh, and tagua nut is from S.A. and often turned into beautiful carvings or jewelry. I would think for bachi, it would be finely ground (like when ivory dust would be salvaged) then binders used to hold it together and be formed or cast into shape. Just my thoughts. It would be interesting to see if shamisen craftsmanship develops elsewhere!

I want to give it a go to make my own shamisen, but that will have to wait for now.

The guy at the shamisen store I go to in Osaka tried to sell me a chinese tugaru. I played it and it was ok, but then I had him let me play a midline japanese made tugaru for comparison.

There was no comparison, The chinese one was only about $500 but it just wasn’t worth skimping on.

So I didn’t buy anything at all.

If I ever go back to the States, I’d like to make my own shamisen for fun. Are the dimensions available?

That he was carrying a Chinese made one at all is pretty surprising! To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever encountered one in real life. There’s too many old instruments floating around the inaka for the cheap, modern builds to get traction.

But I reckon it’s much like those 500 all-inclusive sets you see on Amazon yeah?

Plastic skin and all that jazz.

I think that a lot of the 40,000 and 50,000 sets you see on Amazon are Chinese made. If they are anything like the one I played in Osaka, they aren’t at all worth skimping on.

He says he sells the Chinese shamisens to beginners. Not sure why he wouldn’t try to find a cheap Japanese maker, but then there might be a Japanese company commissioning a Chinese manufacturer.

I could pick up something used, but I’m usually only in the country for a short time. Would take too long to get it skinned.

As aside, for guitars, it is starting to matter less where the instrument is made. I have an Indonesian SG that’s great that I only paid 18,000 yen for.

If I ever go back to the States, I’d like to make my own shamisen for fun. Are the dimensions available?

That’s basically what Kyle’s book is about :wink:

Good to hear what to look (and look out) for. Btw, I have browsed Alibaba and similar websites for taiko drums (a lot of wild drums, Chinese, Korean, Japanese-styles made in China) but never shamisen. Interestingly, not much came up. I did see one listing for Okinawan sanshin made out of Vietnam, supposedly some 15 years making. Oh, Taiwan is also another country with manufacturing (not just China). India and Pakistan also.

I don’t know if these were the bad shamisen first talked about in the old 2012 post, since those links are now too old… but here are a few listings (two on Amazon; one on eBay) that I know are not right. They manufactured as if hybridizing three instruments into one (Chinese sanxian, Okinawan sanshin, and Japanese shamisen) and selling as “shamisen”. The coloring and overall look and hodgepodge mix would make me suspect made in China for cheap export, a bad knockoff (versus a good one, because China can make better). I won’t write what to look for, good fun to find out:

Shamisen with bachi, Japanese 3 string instrument
by Maestro
Link: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01L9ICVWG

Shamisen with case and bachi, Japanese 3 string instrument
by Maestro
Link: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LDF9OA8

Shamisen, Japanese 3 string instrument, with Bachi
http://r.ebay.com/4Mjqj5

Hey Virginia.

That thing’s (or something very much like it) has definitely been linked here before; not sure if it was this post or not.

I totally recall someone talking about an instrument that looked like a messed up nagauta (which this totally looks like)

Love the okinawa style doukake.

Then it might be the same ones. The color (stain or paint) of the sao is very typical (to my eyes) of newly fabricated Chinese-made instruments and furniture and housewares. (Btw, “taiko” drums made in China may have that color, plus stain is applied often after skinning so under skin is not painted and often, sloppy hand so skin underneath will have a smudge of color.) Just a curious 3-string hybrid.

Here is an odd-looking Okinawan sanshin with synthetic skin. Well, it’s not as bad and weird looking as the shamisen they are/were selling. Looking at the pegs, I would say the manufacturer is probably in S.E. Asia, such as Vietnam or Thailand. The black lacquer is sloppy. (They can make very nice instruments, but export stuff for cheap can have different quality.) I looked up the Brand “Meastro”, which might be “Maestro” (possibly a Gibson subsidiary). On a guitar forum, people were asking about the cheap guitars and one mention was that they were made in Korea. (Interestingly, those cheap guitars are sold at Best Buy and Target. Hmmm, never seen a cheap sanshin or shamisen sold there!) Anyways, take a look at this eBay listing for sanshin. Same seller out of Houston, TX. http://r.ebay.com/MLF5Cf