Help me identify this shamisen

Hello everyone
Can anyone identify what type of shamisen it is. I’m guessing It’s a Jiuta? Please see these photos attached. Thank you :pray::pray:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1s3ELrcI7Hj6uumfnUMZ5kr9x9CJcatLv

1 Like

It is generally impossible to accurately identify an instrument without knowing the dimensions of its neck and body - as those are the primary indicators of subtype.

Going strictly from appearances, we’re limited to what features we can easily find - which aren’t the end all and be all of an instrument. For example, while most modern tsugaru shamisen exhibit a jiuta style, sharply angled neck, older instruments tend to have a more gentle hatomune.

Disclaimer aside, I’ll tell you what I can see.

• A chipped tenjin.

• A neck and body made of karin.

• A jiuta style angle.

• An en-sawari.

• Ebony itomaki.

I am reasonably sure it is a mitsuori, but it could be a nobezao. The pictures are unclear on this final point.

Depending on the dimensions of the neck this could be classed as a min’yo (if chuuzao and go rin dai), or chuuzao (if chuuzao and greater than go rin dai. but less than 3 bu dai).

I would not call it a jiuta as it has a mechanical sawari. The individuals I know that are active in that branch tend to eschew it. However, it is possible that it was built as a jiuta and later modified - although whether it could still be called a sangen is somewhat up to debate :p.

It is possible, but unlikely, that it is some variant of hosozao or nagauta - but I would be surprsed.

I doubt it is a futozao. Even without reference points, those tend to look heftier.

1 Like