Hi everyone! I'm new :)

Hi everyone :slight_smile: I’m new to this world and got fascinated by it. Hope to learn a lot here, just reading a couple of topics teached me so many things :slight_smile: As with all things I do I got a little carryed away and impulse bought a used Shamisen from Japan without really knowing enough about them, so I was hoping someone could help me understand if the Shamisen I bought is any good XD Here it is:

I wouldn’t really mind even if it wasn’t good at all, I think it’s beautiful and I’ll love just having it in my room even if only as a decoration :slight_smile: That said I would like to actually try and lear to play it so it would be amazing if it actually was playable.
Thanks to everyone for helping me with this new passion, hope to get to know more people in this great community soon :slight_smile:
(Sorry for eventual grammatical errors and mistyped words, english is not my first language)

1 Like

I wanted to say welcome. But your link also wanted me to sign in. Once you receive maybe take pictures and try to ask something specific as just a picture of a sale item hard to evaluate. Good luck with your exploration and new fun study.

1 Like

Thank you for your welcome :smiley: As soon as I get it I will post some pictures for sure, but it is gonna take probably 2 months before it arrives. Maybe later I can upload the auction pictures if someone want to check without the need of the link.

Here are the auction photos if someone is curious and don’t want to check the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like a nice tsugaru shamisen in good working condition to me. Nice catch!

1 Like

Nice! Really hope that’s the case, and that it doesn’t get damaged in shipping. Thank you :slight_smile:

Very nice!! You did the right thing by just jumping into it. I love Yahoo auctions as it is easy to find a gem with just a few clicks of a button. Enjoy!!

1 Like

Of you have smart phone you can practice to get started on phone apps. Search shamisen apps on Bachido and also join facebook page for more people to respond.

Have a great study while waiting. Looks so beautiful.

Mari

1 Like

Oh…when I wait for wonderful things sometimes I check out related videos and collect links in a post and then ask questions as guides for study. For instance you may want to use guitar pick if you do not have plectrum… or your may want others to post a video link for you to see if you need more guidance…what music background do you have? I am assisting a younger nephew to learn guitar so trying to help parents and kid start…just thought of how excited I was when starting my own lute studies too…

1 Like

I love yahoo auctions too! Maybe a little too much, I always spend too much money on random things XD But looks like I got lucky this time :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for all the suggestions! I really aprpeciate it :slight_smile: I’m trying to watch as many videos as I can to learn as much as possible before the Shamisen arrives. I don’t have much music background sadly, just some music classes at school and some electric bass around 10 years ago. But I’ll try my best to learn and improve as much as I can :slight_smile:

Oh wow you have more years than I of formal string schooling… and bass guitar so super for holding rhythm. My brother played bass for his church groups and his endurance and patience for guitar groups amaze me. . look forward to hearing good news about your shamisen soon…

1 Like