How hard would it be to repair these bachi?

Screenshot_20190612-214825 Screenshot_20190612-214831 Screenshot_20190612-214815 Screenshot_20190612-214822 Screenshot_20190612-214810 Screenshot_20190613-143050

Bought these three for ~5000 yen total, and although the damage is a bit larger than in Kyle’s bachi repair video, I should be able to repair them in the same way, right? Just work on them with sand paper till they’re ready to be used again?

1st:
Dunno about this one…
Since the damage is in the middle it shouldn’t affect the playing experience, but if you do it for the visual effect you have to REALLY scrub deep with the sand paper to restore the the straight line, it could work out but it will take long and it would be a bit too risky in my opinion, but just try it if you want!

2nd:
Can’t really predict this one’s outcome; you see that the damaged spots are very grayish and if you scrub them with the sand paper it could have the same effect, maybe you could polish and laquer it afterwards, but I’m no expert and it could end up more damaged than before, maybe not.

3rd:
That’s a classic one, repair without worries!

4th:
Same as 1st I think

5th:
It looks like it was already worked on with sand paper, I don’t know how more sand paper would make it better. Maybe it would look nice if you scrub the other side too to make it symmetrical??? (okay, it sounds like a horrible idea, nevermind)

And holy sh🐢t 5000 yen??? You’re like godzilla in the online shopping world!
Are you interested in selling them or why did you buy so many? (If you are, you already found a potential customer hohohohoho🙋)

1 Like

I might consider selling one, depends on how they’ll turn out, but if I do I’ll let you know :wink:

Honestly, there are some really good deals on yahoo auctions, you should check em out! (you can use buyee as a proxy service)

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep this thread updated when my gf brings them from Japan this summer!

1 Like

I haven’t worked with bekkou, but I have been working with a bunch of different plastics and fought some similar battles. It seems to me the problem might be that once you work out some of the deeper chips, you’ve worked your way up into a thicker part of the blade. I you want to keep the same flexibility as the blade originally had, you will have to thin the blade out some, and that takes a steady hand. Not at all saying it’s not possible, but it will be a bit of a challenge. You might want to practice thinning out a piece of acrylic or something in order to get your technique down. But, heck, for 5000 yen, it might be worth buying these just for the practice!

Again, I haven’t worked with bekkou, so take everything I just said with a grain of salt. Kyle knows far more about working bekkou than I do.

2 Likes

I agree with Chris. For 5000 yen, those would be great to practice with!

Also, the only real chips of concern are the ones closest to the tip. The chips in the middle won’t affect the integrity of the blade, I think. :slight_smile:
That said, if you have sandpaper glued to a flat board, you could run the top flat edge back and forth along the paper until it’s almost smooth, and then transition to finer and finer grits. Then it should be almost good as new. :slight_smile: (until 2000 grit is enough, no need for lacquer)

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice, I really appreciate it (and this forum)! :blush: