How to choose my first?

Hi guys,

For those of you who have shamisen, how did you decide which was best for you? I’m trying to figure out what kind I should go for and there are so many factors!

I am going through the crash course and other lessons on a home made kankara sanshin of all things, with a 3D printed bachi. Yeah I know it sounds kind of ghetto but I’m having a blast learning, listening, and observing techniques and such. (I’m not giving Beni Ninagawa a run for her money anytime soon though.)

Anyway, the time is soon approaching for me to bite the bullet and buy an actual shamisen. How fragile is the skin on a nagauta? How wide is the sao? (My sanshin is about one inch across and it is a little tight!)

Anyway, any ideas or thoughts would be welcomed. Obviously ANYTHING is an upgrade from my current situation, no matter how much I love my can.

Thanks in advance!

Hey! Sorry for the incoming wall of text, just trying to help :stuck_out_tongue:

So, when I was picking my first shamisen, it was pretty much all based on affordability and it being tsugaru style, since I knew for certain that was what I wanted to play. Since I’ve gotten more comfortable with the instrument, I’ve upgraded from there, but a synthetic skinned basic shamisen is a great place to get your footing.

However, you already seem to have a pretty good feel for shamisen (even if it’s not a regular one) so it might be advisable for you to go and upgrade a little further than the basic entry level sort.

The sao on a nagauta is about 26mm wide, or about 1.02 inches, so it’s not really that different to what you already have. The skin is naturally more fragile than a Tsugaru shamisen’s, so if you want to play any tsugaru pieces you won’t really get that percussive tatakibachi, but a nagauta skin can hold up fairly well if you treat it a bit more delicately.

If it’s indeed Nagauta you would like to play, the Beginner’s Shamisen in the Bachido store looks great - I haven’t played it myself, but it looks and sounds really good, and to my ears, like a normal nagauta shamisen.

If you want to play Tsugaru, Bachido also offers a variety of higher end shamisen if you want to splurge a bit, but if you want to be more budget conscious, I’d recommend one of the ST model shamisen you can find on E-Bay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsugaru-Shamisen-Sangen-Patent-High-Technology-Professional-ST1-Traditional-JP-/162490550949?hash=item25d5310aa5:g:-MEAAOSwSypY~3j3) like this one.
That’s what I got started out on and while the tone doesn’t really hold up to a real craftsman made shamisen, it’s great for learning the proper techniques and songs so once you get a nicer one in the future all the knowledge transfers right over.
The ones in that series start as the basic ST1 (no azuma sawari) and goes up from there with additions such as an azuma sawari or a naga fukuro, but on all of the ones of that series with the synthetic plastic skin they do sound, well, plastic-y. But, they are a more affordable way to get your feet wet in the world of shamisen.

Again, though, if you are comfortable enough from the kankara you’ve been playing and would like to get the full on Tsugaru shamisen experience, the ones in the Bachido store can be skinned with FiberSen or natural skin, which get a far better tone than the ST series.
I’m not sure if those can, but the high end specialized ones here like the Akatsuki and the Eclipse can also be skinned with Ripple. Both Ripple and Fibersen sound nearly (if not) identical to natural skin.

The sao on a Tsugaru is 30mm, so a bit thicker and if you ask me easier to get your fingers around. The skin is also much more durable.

Anywho if it’s just regular minyo you’d like to play (not specifically Tsugaru) that can really be done on any type, though there are specifically made minyo shamisen. You can find some of those too on E-Bay, but I’d be careful as most of them have broken skin as they are.

And, of course, you can always go through proper shamisen shops like Shamisen Katoh or E-Kameya and see what they have to offer and what you like.
Hope this helps!

Hullo,

My general recommendation is to get whatever you can afford. Time spent on the instrument is more important than genre expectations. A nagauta, thus, is a great choice to begin with!

For more specific things, here’s a wall of text:

Neck Size

Hand size and finger length are going to be your big indicators here, as I’m sure you’re experiencing on your kankara. Bigger hands will make a larger neck feel more comfortable.

I started on a loaned narrow-as-heck hosozao (2.4 cm) nagauta, before getting the wider variant common to my area (2.6 cm). I moved up to a chuuzao after that (2.8) and often play it still, though I use my fuutozao (3.0) a lot lately.

I’ve also played on a 3.3cm fatty. It was ~ weird ~

To be honest, it’s hard to judge how much the increase in fingerboard size has helped me vs. just more time spent playing, but the 2.8-3.0 width is just about perfect for my natural grip.

Moreover, the space on the 3.0cm makes it easier to perform some techniques (although harder to do others).

Skin

In my neck of the woods, there’s three skinnings available. Dog (Tsugaru), Dog (Not Tsugaru), Cat (Not Tsugaru). I’ve played on them all, and they all have their quirks and sound differences.

If you take care of them by keeping them out of humidity, avoiding huge temperature shifts, use proper bachi technique, and take care with sweat… you really needn’t worry. The tsugaru skins are definitely more durable (and more expensive), but even a cat skinned nagauta is going to do alright if you’re not crazy with it.

Regarding the synthetics, I’ve listened to Ripple at length and really like it. The only complaint I’ve seen against it is that the texturing can damage bachi and that the adhesive used is much stronger, leading to difficulty in replacement down the line.

I don’t have an especially strong opinion on fibersen, but have had limited exposure to it.

Also, this website is a great resource (and the owner can English if you want to buy from them).

http://www.shamisen.ne.jp/shamisen_life/shop/shamisen_neiro.html

A question for you: if you are beginners, and, among years, you practiced and go ahead (formally, not self-taught), can you change s shamisen?

Hey Sakura,

I’m not completely clear about your question, but I’ll try to help.

Do you mean can a person change their instrument while continuing formal training?

For example, can a person studying nagauta continue to learn nagauta after changing from a nagauta shamisen to a tsugaru shamisen?

That comes down to their teacher. In Japan, some teachers are very strict and require their students to use specific instruments and accessories.

My teachers are not strict. I have been with Yoshinaga-sensei for almost two years now, and we are a min’yo school. But I didn’t start on a min’yo shamisen, I started on a nagauta. Even when I changed instruments the focus has always been on refining technique. Many people in my school use different kinds of shamisen, bachi, and koma.

My tsugaru teacher let me begin practicing on the same chuuzao I was using for usual min’yo, until I could invest in a Tsugaru. He was very happy when I got the tsugaru though. Still, he is happiest when I progress.

On the other hand, my friend’s teacher was very strict. He knew both min’yo and hauta, so he had my friend use a nagauta skinned with cat, as well as a proper resin bachi and rather high (3.0) koma.

Wow guys thanks for the text walls-- I’m serious! You’ve really given me some specific things to consider as well as some great information.

Hey Ian, in regards to the ST tsugaru you showed, and ones like it, are they made of wood? You said they have a plastic skin, so I wanted to see if anything else was plastic before I buy one.

Yup! Everything That looks like wood is wood including the itomaki. It’s all Karin wood.
Only the skin is plastic.

Perfect! Thanks so much.

Any time :smiley:

How much does it cost?

This one costs $672 USD. So about 612 euros.

Hmmm… maybe it’s expensive. Since I don’t know how can cost a normal guitar… I don’t know