How to make a gott an?

I’d love to make a basic gottan - something that be something like a crafts project and a playable musical instrument. (Other communities talk about making a “cigar box guitar”; why not make a “cigar box *gottan”?

I realize that this instrument is available on this site for a decent price, but I’d like to make my own. Anybody have hints on how to make it, etc?

Thanks!!

Its easy. I made my own by making a kankara (just google it for some easy walkthroughs) and making a thin wooden box to replace the metal can.

Total cost was about $20 for wood at lowes and only took about a day. I used some nylon strings from guitar center. Sounds different than a shamisen but it will definitely work for practice lol

I think this is the one I used:

http://www.makeman.co.jp/modules/pico/index.php?content_id=22

If you want to make it extra cool you can also find a paint scraper to use as a bachi :slight_smile:

I love the low-rent look of a kankara - inexpensive enough so that you can come up with additional versions, if you want.

Kind of like this:

Woa! That is some cool cigar box Shami jamming!

I got some pictures on my profile in case you are desperate . . . :slight_smile:

I’ve put some thought on a design that would combine decent sound and epic cheapness of design. I have a wooden cigar box, a long plank of hard maple, some rudimentary hand tools, and some good design hints from Cigar Box Guitars.com.

It’s going to be hard to keep a cheap, homemade shami in tune, so I’m going for geared tuning.