How well known is Shamisen Toyokichi in overseas?

This is my first post.

I have a second-handed Chuzao (medium-necked) “Kouta/Hauta” shamisen and a Hosozao (thin-necked) 1952 VINTAGE “Nagauta” shamisen that were found at a building demolition site in Hiroshima Prefecture. (from Yahoo! auction, I’m using both of them while maintaining them).

As for the title of this topic, how well known is Shamisen Toyokichi, a famous shamisen player who was active in Japan from pre-war to the 1960s?

Incidentally, this person has participated in one overseas performance.

Hello, welcome. What kind of music do you like to play?

This is my first time to hear about Shamisen Toyokichi. I looked online and there seems to be many uploads of his works on Youtube. It’s very Showa style, isn’t it?

1 Like

Well, I’d like to play “Harukoma” and other folk songs (including foreign ones), un-scored commercial songs (mainly from the 60s and 70s), songs using vocaloid or UTAU singing synthesis (so far only L’boun’s songs), and “Koi Kou Enishi”(Originally performed by Onoue Hideki a.k.a. Fujimoto Hideji).

This is my first time to hear about Shamisen Toyokichi. I looked online and there seems to be many uploads of his works on Youtube. It’s very Showa style, isn’t it?

Yes yes, this song is one of my favorite songs by her.

I later found out that a player belonging to a school related to Toyokichi was in Hawaii in the 1960s.
(The period of Toyokichi’s death; she died in 1964.)
The only thing I know about hers name.
I don’t know if she participated in any other recordings (exclude exotica).
Does anyone have any information about Shamisen Toyosumi?
It’s also unclear if she’s Japanese American or not.

Paul Mark - Chakkiari Bushi - YouTube
↑Wrong spell,“Chakkiri Bushi” is correct.