Is it possible to use a Shamisen plectrum with a Sanshin

So I recently wanted to play the Sanshin, due to having previous Shamisen experience, and I was wondering if you can use a Shamisen Bachi with one. The kind of Sanshin I’m getting is an artificial skin version. I imagine it would be possible to play a Sanshin like a Shamisen because I hear that in Amami, they use long plectra to play Sanshin and even call it a Shamisen.

Totally can use a “standard” shamisen bachi with a sanshin. I mean, ultimately, this is a question of whether or not you feel comfortable with it. However, I’d recommend against using any tataki as sanshin typically don’t have the most durable skin.

Totally can use a “standard” shamisen bachi with a sanshin. I mean, ultimately, this is a question of whether or not you feel comfortable with it. However, I’d recommend against using any tataki as sanshin typically don’t have the most durable skin.

Thank you very much

You can definitely try it, and I’m interested to hear how it turns out, both functionally and sound wise. Personally, I feel like the large shamisen bachi might be a little cumbersome to use with such a small instrument, but that’s just me.

Maybe you’re already well-aware, but I’m gonna post some pictures just for reference:

Sanshin are usually played with a kind of pick that fits over the index finger. It’s traditionally made from water buffalo horn and looks like this:

For playing, it’s used like this:

Now, in the Amami style, they do use a different kind of plectrum, but it’s still quite different from the kind of bachi you’d find on the mainland. I think they’re usually made from bamboo, and here’s what they look like:

For playing, it’s used like this:

In my most amateur of opinions, the Amami bachi looks almost exactly like the plectrum used for playing the oud. See here:

And here:

I dunno about you, but I think that’s a pretty cool coincidence.

I think there’s a link there, between the oud and Amami shamisen plectra too, Jamie. I like the picture of the oud player - it reminds me of this Amami musician:

oh wow! they do look alike… strange :stuck_out_tongue:

Bachido by now really offers a lot of great information in the forums and older valuable posts while seemingly out of sight and lost in the pile can at least through search hits (also showing up directly on google) readily come to the surface again and still be appreciated long after they were originalle made . . . as by me so thank you for this and 2 other threads about the topic with detailed replies . . . after seeing a very cool looking acrylic clear bachi on facebook today in a picture posted by Kyle I felt like doing another internet sweep for cheapo alternatives other than the very cheapest and rather wide bladed regular plastic ones I never bothered to order from afar even though that would have been better than nothing (professional) at all so far :slight_smile: after nothing good and cheap bachiwise turned up again I surprisingly stumbled upon two Oud plectrum suppliers in neighboring germany offering hand polished ones for 99 cents a piece and only a few euros shipping costs . . . and I faintly remembered such things as an option were once upon a time mentioned on here and already a search on google also directed me to the relevant bachido threads from which within a couple of minutes I got an overview about the plectrum with its attractive tataki options being used on sanshin amami islands style and all as for the context too so awesome and looking forward to actually trying those (or at least their close oud siblings) out :slight_smile:

( https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/product_info.php/products_id/6600

http://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_p655_oud_profi_pick.htm )