Is this a Jiuta Shamisen?

Is this a jiuta shamisen? It certainly doesn’t look like a nagauta to me- but it has the azuma sawari, and it the finger positions include a 13# which I don’t think shows up in jiuta music… Also the body looks to thin to be tsugaru to me, and the bachi seems to be wider than a tsugaru pick.

Actually, that doesn’t look like a 13 with the #, but it’s before the 14. Mostly I was just going off of looks.

It looks like a minyou shamisen to me, its definitely not for nagauta given its size and features, particularly the hatomune is a dead give away. My reasoning for it not being a jiuta specific shamisen is that the pegs are done more in a minyou style, jiuta specific pegs are usually thinner and finer, rather similar to nagauta style pegs, the skin covers more of the sides than one would normally see on a shamisen meant for jiuta. In the jiuta style, the skin just barely goes over the sides. Lastly, the bachikawa is a tsugaru style bachikawa, it goes way down the skin to protect the skin from the bachi in ushirobachi position. As Jiuta only utilizes the maebachi position, one would have no need for this kind. A Jiuta style bachikawa is a small half moon shape protector that covers the edge of the frame, unlike a nagauta one that that one would position immediately after the frame or just just barely touching it. These kinds of things make me think it is a minyou shamisen or perhaps a jiuta shamisen that someone has re-purposed into a tsugaru jamisen (quite common). It could also just be a middle neck tsugaru jamisen for a smaller person. The azuma sawari does not really help us decide as jiuta shamisen just as often do not come with this feature. The fujaku also does not offer us much help, almost all fujaku come with bunka-fu numbering, fujaku with tate-fu numbering are somewhat uncommon and jiuta teachers tend to not be as tolerate of this kind of crutch. Honestly though, I think it would probably work across quite a few styles of music.

Well said, John!
He’s absolutely accurate! The size of the dou and the Sao both look like mine, and the itomaki are definitely the same size! (I have a Minyou shamisen.).
As far as the fujaku goes, they are obviously put on after the build is complete, so I would guess that it would reflect either the personal playing style or the availability to the original player. Mine wasn’t shipped with one, and I have never put one on it, so I don’t actually know how it would look either way.

Thanks for the replies! I wonder what kind of wood it is…

It’s hard to say without more info, but by the colour I would guess a shitan wood. One good indicator should be the price. I think Kyle or John might be better suited to answer that one

I think it is a tsugaru shamisen because of the neck the skin and the pegs. Kyle Abbott said himself that the thickness of a tsugaru neck varies depending on the player. Sometimes it is even as thin as a hosozao shamisen. Proof is in the Styles of Shamisen Bachido Wiki.

That is not an azuma sawari. That is an En sawari. Azuma is rectangular and En is circular.

I would agree that it seems to be a minyo shamisen, mostly by the itomaki. (not quite thick enough to be tsugaru itomaki, though they are close!) And it could be an optical illusion, but the dou appears to be a bit thinner? It looks like a fine axe! :slight_smile:

Doesn’t it appear to be Karin wood, though?

Ajmal, I could be mistaken, but when I zoomed in, it seems that the sawari is rectangular. Interesting sawari, almost seems homemade.