Is this proper bachi technique?

(Hopefully this translates to video)

For a while now I’ve been self-conscious about my bachi technique, particularly whether or not I’m doing it right. I know that it’s supposed to be played with the arm, not the wrist, and that the wrist is supposed to be relaxed, but I’ve never been able to do it properly or comfortably.

Recently I started getting wrist pain when playing so I’ve begun trying to use my arm more, and I wanted to know if this is proper.

Thanks!

There is no wrong way to use a bachi … but I understand your concerns - and they’re valid.

I do not hear good follow through. I see an extremely stiff wrist.

How are you holding the bachi? How are you holding the shamisen? The picture doesn’t show me your grip on the former, and obscures your posture.

Posture for classical forms looks like this:

Tsugaru is more like the following:

Your bachi should be held like this:
images

The little finger curves in and upward towards the thumb. Envision a line going between them.

Here is a video about striking and holding without pain.

Thanks for replying.

This is how I hold my bachi:

Sometimes, it’s a little more up or down depending on the size and how much my pinkie is beginning to hurt.

As for my shmaisen, heres a video:

(Ignore the red bandage. I lost my yubikake, so I improvised)

I sometimes slouch halfway through and then try to correct myself. My left hand is definitely not how it should be, and that’s because this is how I feel comfortable doing it. I feel like the main reason as to why my technique is bad is because of comfort. I just end up doing what doesn’t cause me pain or what feels natural to me.

My bachi, I feel is also a problem. I only have two, the plastic one that came with my shamisen (now broken on both sides) and the wooden one I’m using in the video, which snapped and I leveled down so now it’s shorter. It’s also covered in resin for durability, but that likely just made it sound worse. I do not see myself being able to afford an acrylic or bekkou bachi anytime in the near future, so those will have to do.

Another big problem, and a reason for why I got used to flicking my wrist, is that I have no coordination. When trying to strike the ni no ito, half the time I’ll just end up striking the san no ito or not strike it hard enough out of fear of accidentally striking the san no ito. I’ve seen the coordination drill on youtube, and honestly I didn’t find it very helpful.

There’s also the issue that I don’t learn from online lessons. This whole time I’ve mostly been winging it and just trying to copy what I see and hear. Part of it is because I know that online lessons don’t work for me. There’s just something that’s lost in translation when trying to follow along, and no matter how many times I rewind or slow down, I just can’t understand.

There are no other shamisen players where I live, and it’s gotten to the point where I’ve contemplated whether or not I should try to save up to go somewhere where there are other shamisen players for at least a couple weeks so that I can learn in person with/from other people or even going as far as to tey my luck and seek an apprenticeship, because I feel like otherwise I’ll just be stuck at this stage forever. It’s been 2 years already, and I’ve barely moved past beginner.

I’m really sorry for all the info dumping. I’m just very tired at this point.

Hmm let’s start with your grip

So:

Here are some really rough one handed photos.

Spread your fingers more. Fan them out.

Now for your strike I want you to do a few things.

If you cannot sit in seiza, instead sit on a firm chair that doesn’t impede your arms at all. Your hips should be nearly parallel to the floor.

Sit up straight. Square your shoulders.

Place the shamisen on the outside of your right thigh. You may angle very high if you like, or you may go lower - just a little over your shoulder. The former is very Chikuzan style, the latter is more orthodox.

Angle the neck up and over your shoulder. The body will also be at a slightly upward angle. This is fine. If you are more comfortable with the neck going out in front of you slightly instead… that is okay too. In that case the body of the shamisen will be completely against yours, instead of just the corner. A futozao is meant to touch you, so do not worry.

Look at my arm. See how it extends over the doukake?

Hold it in place with the friction from your arm. You will still be able to bounce and move your arm will maintaining it with practice.

String accuracy comes with time.

For now, I want you to focus on striking and following through.

When you strike a shamisen, you are not strumming or plucking strings. Even hiki-jamisen is fundamentally percussive.

When your strike, I want you to do so as if you’re trying to strike your own stomach through the dou.

Follow through all the way to the skin, and go near to parallel as you can.

Here, I made this old video a while back. The very end is particularly relevant to you, I think.

Is this better?

I actually did also want to ask about bachi angle because I’ve seen people holding it almost parallel to the skin. Should that be applied to all strings or just the san no ito? Because I feel it’s easier to strike the other two at an angle and go flat on the san.

I’m also still trying to figure out how to keep a good grip on the bachi while trying to loosen the wrist, which is still a bit of a problem on it’s own.

Another thing, I feel like what I also need are some good drills for striking the strings. Are there any particular songs or melodies that you think are good for that?

Thanks!

It is better, but there are still issues with your grip. Look at the first picture I posted. Notice how there is space between the bachi handle and the gap between my ring and little finger.

In the second picture it is harder to see, but you can pick it out with a little looking.

As well, I do not like the angle of your arm. For me, the elbow falls just behind or around the back edge of the doukake. As I play my arm pivots up and down, bouncing along.

Your bachi angle changes as you play. Different angles make different sounds and may allow certain techniques to be performed more easily. I go very parallel. Some people do less.

Generally speaking, I’m at my most parallel in mae (especially on the third string) and least parallel on ushiro (especially on the first)

I don’t have specific advice for drills. I learned by playing songs.

Here, take a look at this video and notice how my bachi moves and changes angle

1 Like

So the back end should be resting on the pinky, but not touching the webbing between it and the ring finger.

Like this, right?

Also, thanks for the vido demonstration! I’ll keep doing my best to work on angles, as well as the wrist.

I think the exact positioning depends a little on the size of your hand and bachi - but yes.

For me, the most important thing is to think of the line created by my thumb and little finger. While things may move around and shift as you play you should be able to envision a connection between them.