Is this repairable?

Apologies if’n this ain’t the right place to post this. Bought an old shamisen off my uncle who inherited it from my (great)grandpa. Pegs don’t fit in the holes and brass fitting on one side are missing. I’d like to get it restored and see about playing it. Is this repairable? It’s literally in pieces but a few of my friends told me it should be doable.

1 Like

Based on that single photo, yes; but I cannot ascertain the state of the fingerboard.

You need new brass fittings (zagane) for the pegbox (tenjin). Alternatively, you could get new pegs (itomaki) that will fit without the fittings.

You need to reglue the body (dou) together.

You need to reskin the body on both sides.

Most of this requires specialized tools, but is not beyond anyone with the wherewithal.

I am a little concerned about lower part of the neck, which would insert into the body (nakago). It has some obviously repairs done to it near the curve end (hatomune). These shims are used to adjust the neck as it slowly wears the entry point into the body and becomes loose (amai). I also see a small gap around the middle point of the nakago. I am not sure if it is a crack, gap, or just a trick of the light.

DIY repair? Yes, possibly. How much time do you have? How many tools and supplies on hand? How much experience with woodworking?

I’m certain Kyle could repair it: Repairs - Shamisen — Bachido Store

Thanks to the both of you for the help. I ain’t got the tools nor training to repair something like this. I mostly work drums. I asked Mr. Kyle about getting it restored and his words were it may be possible but costly. I going to further engage him on that and see what can be done. It’ll prolly have to go back to Japan for repairs per his expertise.