It is important than a shamisen Azuma Sawari

I have seen a shamisen an it have a very good price, but it does not have Azuma Sawari. I don´t know if only tsugaru jamisen have Azuma Sawari also. I think It is a good thing to have but in the other part I suppouse it is not needed, only its better for a good buzz or for changing it as you wish.

It is mad (even insane :stuck_out_tongue: ) to buy a shamisen without a Azuma Sawari? or I can live without it?

1 Like

I personally have it, but I truly got lucky with my shamisen.
It helps me as i love to customize things.

But I suppouse the buzz of a shamisen without this its ok, right?

Best to have Sawari. Don’t think it’s Tsugaru without Sawari. Bit like the bag pipes without the drone :slight_smile:

If its quite cheap and you really wanna get playing then you can live without it, it will have the sawari effect anyway :slight_smile:

Paco,
What Liam says is true. You can live without it and if you grab this Shamisen to start learning how to play, you will be fine. BUT…Pete also makes a good point. It won’t really be a true “Shamisen” experience.
What you will miss are the nuances that can bring a deeper feeling.
What I love about Shamisen that makes it different from other stringed intruments is the “resonance” that shows you where to put your fingers. By feeling the vibe, it becomes easier than a violin to find where the “in tune” notes are.
For example if you play a note in position 6 but your finger did not make it to the right spot you can tell right away because the note will sound dull and lifeless. Then as you adjust your finger to find the spot that is in tune you will get the magic “sshhhhhwwaaaaaahhhhh!!!” that comes from inside the Shamisen. Now you know you are in tune because you can feel it. This continues all over the neck so even when you go to the highest position, you can always feel when the notes are resonating in Tune! I think because of this buzzing it is perhaps the easiest fret less instrument to develop intonation on. It guides your fingers.

I just tell you this so you know what you will sacrifice to play without it. Maybe it will be closer to your violin experience without sawari and you can certainly have fun plucking out tunes and discovering the techniques and feeling of playing but it’s just that some kind of magic will be missing and you might find intonation to be a pain in the ass without that magic guide that comes from Sawari.

P.s.
I just thought of something… You can make it yourself. You just need a drill and something like a tiny metal screw and/r wooden piece. I have never done this before but I’ve heard from fellow Shamisen players that it is easy. Kyle will know all about it and can probably tell you how to do it in more detail.
So basically if you want to grab a Shami and you found one with a reasonable price it’s probably good to go for it !

thanks to all for the responses!!

Cana: congrats for your shamisen! :slight_smile:

Pete: yeah I didn´t know that Azuma Sawari its only for tsugaru. Anyway this shamisen is Cyuzao (or Cuzao, I didn´t know how it is said), so it is not Tsugaru… anyway, I can´t afford tsugaru, and at first I want to try one cheaper :slight_smile: . I hope it is a good experience.

**Liam:**yes, that what I think, It has the buzz so…

**Kevin:**Yes this is like when you buy a violin for study and you, as time passes, feels than your violin isn´t good and you need to buy a new one. I hope than, with shamisen, that happens to me with a long long time (ago, in a galaxy far far away) playing shamisen. Anyway I feel than you are right, Sawari seems to improve your experience. Anyway I have no pacience in this case and I bought it! My first plan was to buy it in Japan but this one have the approval of my japanese´s teacher, that it is also a musician (I am a lucky bastard :P).

So I was thinking about installing one by myself when I feels than I will need it, knowing that Kyle can help me gives me confidence to try to do it :slight_smile: Anyway, I have never do carpenter work, so first I will practice with woodblocks, I don´t want to broke my shamisen.

Haha!! I like Pete’s analogy. :wink: Chuuzao shamisen sometimes have azuma sawari installed if it’s for minyou shamisen.

As you say, it does have the buzz already. In which case, are you happy with it? If you enjoy the current level of buzz and don’t really feel you need more or less, I would keep it how it is.

A really simple one can be made with a screw (though I find the metal screw makes the buzz too metallic) and a sleeve (metal nut which the screw threads into). If you install it yourself, the main skill needed will be drilling straight. Practicing with woodblocks will help you practice this. :slight_smile:

Ideally though, you’ll want a wood/plastic piece touching the string, as it makes the buzz warmer. Making the azuma sawari from the book is actually pretty simple. If you can build a model airplane, you’re more than capable of making an azuma sawari. :slight_smile:

Yes Kyle with the Buzz I am surely happy, Its only to know if it is so important to have it :slight_smile: When I am new in something, always scares a bit to do a bad buy. I have lisen to Chuuzao shamisen and I like it a lot! :slight_smile: I don´t know if it is better than nagauta or not, but I like the sound! :slight_smile:

If when the time goes on I feel I need it, I will try to do it by myself (look the news for spain when I do it!! XD)

minyou style uses sawari? good to know that :slight_smile:

Hey! I am even make a gundam model! :slight_smile:

Little offtopic:
I was quite surprised when I found out that my nagauta shamisen has 2 ichi-no-ito positions. On one of them the string produces similar buzz. So, you can say nagauta uses azuma sawari too.

:O!! this is very cool, you can put your ichi no ito in one or another, and change your buzz. Nagauta uses a custom sawari jeje

I have shamisen with and without azuma sawari. Traditionally they do not have it (it is a newer invention used on newer styles). Shamisen were known for the buzz before azuma sawari. My traditional jiuta shamisen buzzes just as much as shamisen with an azuma sawari. I think the differences one sees between instruments are specific to the instrument construction. Also if the wood is worn then the buzzing decreases.

K H: Interesting. Where is the second position on the ichi no ito that produces a buzz? I wonder if that’s an area where the wood has worn down. (If it sounds cool, than awesome!)

Thanks michael! that´s what I think.

Anyway, I have my shamisen in my country´s customs! please, come on! release it!!

why and where ichi no ito produces a buzz?

Angus, take a look at Chapter 4 of the Crash Course - Lesson One. There’s a sub chapter called ‘Sawari’. It briefly explains the location and how the sawari works. :slight_smile: